Although privacy issues are a concern, if you are vigilant we feel that they are outweighed by the benefits.
If your computer is awash with documents, e-mails, instant messages, cached Web pages - making finding anything close to impossible - try Google Desktop.
Using the same techniques as the company's Web search engine, Google Desktop is designed to help you seek out elusive information on your PC. When you first install the software it indexes everything on your hard drive - from documents and files to e-mail messages. Even information stored within chat sessions and cached Web pages you have visited is included. The indexing process runs constantly to ensure that you can always search through all your most recent data. If you want to exclude anything, you can do so from Preferences.
Once your PC is indexed, you can search it either by clicking on the icon that appears in your toolbar or visiting http://desktop.google.com where the desktop search option is also displayed. The results are presented in much the same way as Internet searches, except that the icon beside each one shows you if it is an e-mail, Web page, Word document and so on. Clicking on a listed result either takes you directly to the original or shows you how to find it.
Although Google Desktop is invaluable, it does throw up some privacy issues. If you install it on a public PC then anyone can search through your Web, e-mail and chat history unless you switch this option off.
On a home PC this is still a problem unless you use multiple accounts. In that case, only the user who installed it can use the utility, so it indexes the data just for that account.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Monster Hunter World review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCOracle Fusion Middleware AdminNSW
- CCData Migration LeadVIC
- CCScrum Master Lead - Online DigitalVIC
- CCProject Manager - Finance BackgroundQLD
- FTUser Experience (UX) DeveloperOther
- PTDigital PublisherNSW
- FTAEM/Jave DeveloperNSW
- FTService Delivery ManagerWA
- FTMid Level UX DesignerOther
- CCSecurity DesignerNSW
- CCSAP HR TrainerNSW
- TPSolutions ArchitectNSW
- TPProgram Scheduler | 12 Month Contract | Qld GovernmentQLD
- FTSupport Analyst - Level 1-2Other
- FTProcess Analyst x 2Other
- TPSnr SQL DBAQLD
- CCL2 Desktop Support AnalystWA
- FTTechnical Digital ProducerOther
- FTPrinciple Health Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - Syd / MelbNSW
- TPWindows 10 Deployment EngineerQLD
- FTControl Systems SpecialistSA
- FTPHP Developer (Codeigniter / Cake)QLD
- FTData AnalystACT
- CCSecurity ArchitectACT