Secure and Save before time runs out with Bitdefender Exclusive Clearance Offer! Get Bitdefender Total Security 2018 Now!
Gigabyte Dual GeForce 6600GT (GV-3D1)
- Great package, powerful, competitively priced
- Cannot run two of these in SLI
This innovative package really takes the pain out of finding and configuring an SLI setup. Great for serious gamers.
Price$ 929.00 (AUD)
In a great display of innovation, Gigabyte has taken Nvidia's SLI graphics principle, which enables two individual graphics cards to be linked together in the same system, and applied it to one graphics card.
That is, it has installed two GeForce 6600GT graphics chips on one circuit board in SLI mode.
These two 6600GT graphics chips work together to provide SLI graphics in very much the same way as a two-card setup does, in that each graphics chip is designated to either render the top or bottom half of the screen, or to render every alternate frame on the screen, thereby evenly sharing the load between each chip. The card uses the full 16 lanes of available PCI Express (PCIe) bandwidth and each chip has its own 128MB DDR3 frame buffer (memory). Both chips on the GV-3D1 have a clock speed of 500MHz and their memory chips run at 1120MHz.
If you were looking to build an SLI system for faster graphics, the GV-3D1's design would mean one less expansion card in your SLI system. It would also mean you wouldn't have to hunt around for two identical SLI graphics cards, or a motherboard with two 16X PCIe slots.
We tested this card with a bundled Gigabyte motherboard using Doom 3 at a resolution of 1280 x 1024 with high detail and 4X anti-aliasing enabled. In single chip mode, the card managed 40 frames per second (fps) in our demo, while in SLI mode this figure soared to 70fps. This latter figure compares favourably against a single 6800GT-based card, which would garner around 65fps on the same system.
By this point you may be wondering if it is possible to connect two GV-3D1 cards together to achieve a total of four graphics chips in one system. Unfortunately, the answer is no, this isn't supported.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Computex 2018: G.Skill draw eyes with new 'Crystal-RGB' RAM and new gaming gear
- Computex 2018: CoolerMaster have new a mouse that can count your kills
- Computex 2018: HyperX add RGB to Alloy FPS Pro keyboard and Pulsefire Pro gaming mouse
- Computex 2018: Roccat put their Titan switches to the test with new Vulcan keyboard
- Computex 2018: AMD reveal 32-core Threadripper 2
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies