Gigabyte Dual GeForce 6600GT (GV-3D1)
- Great package, powerful, competitively priced
- Cannot run two of these in SLI
This innovative package really takes the pain out of finding and configuring an SLI setup. Great for serious gamers.
Price$ 929.00 (AUD)
In a great display of innovation, Gigabyte has taken Nvidia's SLI graphics principle, which enables two individual graphics cards to be linked together in the same system, and applied it to one graphics card.
That is, it has installed two GeForce 6600GT graphics chips on one circuit board in SLI mode.
These two 6600GT graphics chips work together to provide SLI graphics in very much the same way as a two-card setup does, in that each graphics chip is designated to either render the top or bottom half of the screen, or to render every alternate frame on the screen, thereby evenly sharing the load between each chip. The card uses the full 16 lanes of available PCI Express (PCIe) bandwidth and each chip has its own 128MB DDR3 frame buffer (memory). Both chips on the GV-3D1 have a clock speed of 500MHz and their memory chips run at 1120MHz.
If you were looking to build an SLI system for faster graphics, the GV-3D1's design would mean one less expansion card in your SLI system. It would also mean you wouldn't have to hunt around for two identical SLI graphics cards, or a motherboard with two 16X PCIe slots.
We tested this card with a bundled Gigabyte motherboard using Doom 3 at a resolution of 1280 x 1024 with high detail and 4X anti-aliasing enabled. In single chip mode, the card managed 40 frames per second (fps) in our demo, while in SLI mode this figure soared to 70fps. This latter figure compares favourably against a single 6800GT-based card, which would garner around 65fps on the same system.
By this point you may be wondering if it is possible to connect two GV-3D1 cards together to achieve a total of four graphics chips in one system. Unfortunately, the answer is no, this isn't supported.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Logitech Unveils MX ERGO, their first trackball in nearly a decade
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- MSI's new Ryzen-ready motherboard coming to Oz
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Intel's 8th Gen Desktop Processors Go On Sale Today
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTApplication Packaging EngineerOther
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCJava Developer - Government organisationVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- FTNetwork Lead AcrhitectACT
- TPCyber Security ConsultantNSW
- FTReporting Analyst - Planning & ForecastingOther
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSAP Test ManagerACT
- CC.net developerNSW
- CCManager-Process Tranformation (Black Belt)NSW
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTApplication ArchitectOther
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerOther
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTSharePoint Admin & Developer- Australian Citizens onlyOther
- CCSolaris / Oracle SPARC administratorVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTFront End Developer - Ractive.JS (Urgent)Other
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW