Geneva Model S mini hi-fi system
Geneva Model S review: A mini hi-fi with plenty of power and a fashionable design
- Modern and minimalist styling, good sound quality
- The touch-sensitive buttons are tricky to operate
The Geneva Model S is an expensive, high quality mini hi-fi system that incorporates an iPod dock, FM and DAB+ digital radio. It's very stylish and its sound quality is excellent.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Geneva Model S is a DAB+ digital radio, iPod dock and FM radio all rolled into a single speaker cabinet. It's a pretty simple mini hi-fi system, and it includes an easy-to-use remote control. Sound quality remains good at low, moderate and high volume levels.
Geneva Model S: Design and features
The Geneva Model S a very stylish piece of home entertainment technology — like the Geneva Model M, it's a single enclosure with all the components inside. Our test unit was finished in a rich tomato red that looked excellent, but piano black and candy white models are also available. The speaker box comes with an optional stand that raises it three inches, but this is largely an aesthetic choice rather than a functional one.
A motorised dock in the middle of the Geneva Model S buzzes into action and rotates out when the iPod mode is activated. This is a cool novelty, but we're a bit wary of what will happen if the motor breaks after a few years of use.
The touch-sensitive buttons on the top of the Geneva Model S mimic the style of Apple's classic iPod MP3 player, with a clicking scroll wheel and a small range of buttons for playing, pausing, skipping tracks and changing modes. The buttons are nice enough to use, but their positioning on the top of the player at the rear means you have to stand over the Geneva Model S to operate it.
The bundled remote control is far easier to use. It takes a bit of getting used to — the power button is labelled with a plus sign, and all the buttons are the same sized — but the tactile buttons are excellent. It also allows users to quickly tweak treble and bass audio, making sound warmer and sharper if wanted.
Geneva Model S: Sound quality
We largely used the FM radio in the Geneva Model S as a fall-back — when listening to an iPod or the DAB+ digital radio, we were consistently impressed. The Geneva Model S goes some way to justifying its high price tag with undeniably excellent sound quality for its size.
It's only a small cabinet but it has excellent clarity and dynamic range at moderate volume levels. The full-range speaker inside the Geneva Model S is able to hit high treble notes with ease, producing crisp and slightly bright audio, but can simultaneously extend quite low in the frequency range to produce reverberating bass. It doesn't quite have the power of a dedicated subwoofer or larger speaker system, but it's on par with other high-end pint-sized speaker systems we've heard like the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin.
What's most impressive is the way it sounds balanced and doesn’t lose composure even when operating at high volume levels. It reaches its maximum volume before introducing any distortion, and it is more than loud enough to fill a medium-sized living room or bedroom.
Geneva Model S: Conclusion
It's an expensive piece of equipment, but the Geneva Model S is a well-designed mini hi-fi system. Anyone happy to spend $600 on an iPod dock or digital radio should (hopefully) be used to the finer things, and the Model S doesn't disappoint.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
- Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- Review: Nikon D7500 DSLR Camera
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCServiceNow Technical Architect - CANBERRA BASEDQLD
- TPProject OfficerNSW
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCServiceNow Technical Architect - CANBERRA BASEDNSW
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- TPIntermediate ICT Business AnalystQLD
- FTCustomer Experience (CX) DesignerOther
- FTIT Business AnalystOther
- CCSenior DeveloperNSW
- FTPA, IT EnvironmentNSW
- FTSenior Customer Experience ( CX ) AnalystOther
- CCProject Manager Windows 10 DeploymentWA
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- FTProject Manager | Intelligent Transport Software DeliveryOther
- FTProject Manager, Product Launch, TelcoNSW
- FTData Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager (CRM)VIC
- TPActive Directory EngineerNSW
- CCConfiguration Specialist - ServiceNowVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack Developer - PHPNSW
- FTDesktop Support EngineerVIC
- TPFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystWA