Geneva Model S mini hi-fi system
Geneva Model S review: A mini hi-fi with plenty of power and a fashionable design
- Modern and minimalist styling, good sound quality
- The touch-sensitive buttons are tricky to operate
The Geneva Model S is an expensive, high quality mini hi-fi system that incorporates an iPod dock, FM and DAB+ digital radio. It's very stylish and its sound quality is excellent.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Geneva Model S is a DAB+ digital radio, iPod dock and FM radio all rolled into a single speaker cabinet. It's a pretty simple mini hi-fi system, and it includes an easy-to-use remote control. Sound quality remains good at low, moderate and high volume levels.
Geneva Model S: Design and features
The Geneva Model S a very stylish piece of home entertainment technology — like the Geneva Model M, it's a single enclosure with all the components inside. Our test unit was finished in a rich tomato red that looked excellent, but piano black and candy white models are also available. The speaker box comes with an optional stand that raises it three inches, but this is largely an aesthetic choice rather than a functional one.
A motorised dock in the middle of the Geneva Model S buzzes into action and rotates out when the iPod mode is activated. This is a cool novelty, but we're a bit wary of what will happen if the motor breaks after a few years of use.
The touch-sensitive buttons on the top of the Geneva Model S mimic the style of Apple's classic iPod MP3 player, with a clicking scroll wheel and a small range of buttons for playing, pausing, skipping tracks and changing modes. The buttons are nice enough to use, but their positioning on the top of the player at the rear means you have to stand over the Geneva Model S to operate it.
The bundled remote control is far easier to use. It takes a bit of getting used to — the power button is labelled with a plus sign, and all the buttons are the same sized — but the tactile buttons are excellent. It also allows users to quickly tweak treble and bass audio, making sound warmer and sharper if wanted.
Geneva Model S: Sound quality
We largely used the FM radio in the Geneva Model S as a fall-back — when listening to an iPod or the DAB+ digital radio, we were consistently impressed. The Geneva Model S goes some way to justifying its high price tag with undeniably excellent sound quality for its size.
It's only a small cabinet but it has excellent clarity and dynamic range at moderate volume levels. The full-range speaker inside the Geneva Model S is able to hit high treble notes with ease, producing crisp and slightly bright audio, but can simultaneously extend quite low in the frequency range to produce reverberating bass. It doesn't quite have the power of a dedicated subwoofer or larger speaker system, but it's on par with other high-end pint-sized speaker systems we've heard like the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin.
What's most impressive is the way it sounds balanced and doesn’t lose composure even when operating at high volume levels. It reaches its maximum volume before introducing any distortion, and it is more than loud enough to fill a medium-sized living room or bedroom.
Geneva Model S: Conclusion
It's an expensive piece of equipment, but the Geneva Model S is a well-designed mini hi-fi system. Anyone happy to spend $600 on an iPod dock or digital radio should (hopefully) be used to the finer things, and the Model S doesn't disappoint.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTNetwork SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Software DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Systems Engineer, Wintel, VMWareOther
- TPKnowledge AnalystVIC
- TPICT Strategic Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- CCSQL Server DeveloperQLD
- CCProject DirectorQLD
- CCMobile DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Manager unique start up opportunity.NSW
- FTJunior / Mid Level .Net DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Software Engineer | Data Feeds | AI & AutomationOther
- CCService DesignerACT
- FTArchsight Delivery ConsultantVIC
- CCSharepoint DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTProfessional Services Consultant - UCMOther
- CCSite Support Officer - FIFO - Cape PrestonWA
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- FTJunior-Mid level Technical Software Support/Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTData Migration LeadOther
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- CCSAP ABAP DevelopersACT
- CCDesktop Support Analyst / EngineerNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperSA