Gecko Gear Soundbase
An attractive iPod dock.
- Looks good, iPod menu control via remote, good mid-range and treble
- Delicate iPod tray, no alarm clock function, radio is tedious to tune
The Gecko SoundBase is a stylish product with decent mid-range and treble, but its price is hard to justify given it lacks an alarm clock and isn't as easy to use as some other docks.
Price$ 179.00 (AUD)
The Gecko Soundbase is a simple iPod dock that combines good mid and upper-range audio definition with a reasonable price and a nice design. Unfortunately, it is let down by a lack of functions and a tedious programming process.
It looks attractive, with a simple soft black mesh front that covers the two speakers, two tweeters and LED display. Despite the mesh, most users won't have any trouble reading the display.
At the bottom of the fascia is a retractable iPod tray that can click into a locked position. This hidden style of dock helps make the Soundbase look sleek, but the tray feels flimsy when opened.
The Soundbase's remote control gives users partial control over an iPod's menu. We found that the system worked well; many other iPod docks don't offer this utility.
An auxiliary 3.5mm input can be found to the rear, between the built-in radio antenna and power jack. This means that other brands of MP3 players can be plugged in.
The Soundbase can be used to listen to both AM and FM radio. There are eight preset slots available (four AM and four FM), but the process of selecting them using the tiny buttons on the remote control is tedious. Users can hold down the up or down keys on the remote to toggle between stations, but it's faster and easier to manually tune the radio. Another negative point is the SoundBase's lack of an alarm clock. The LED display acts as a clock and has a timer mode, so the lack of an alarm seems odd.
The Gecko SoundBase is a mixed bag in terms of sound quality. At high volumes there is surprisingly little distortion and the mid-range and treble are detailed, albeit occasionally tinny. A lack of bass means that audio is hollow, but in this respect the SoundBase is on par with similarly priced docks such as the Logitech LS-LT1507V. The lack of equaliser options on the SoundBase is more disappointing (the Memorex Mi2013 Travel speaker is cheaper and includes an equaliser).
If you're willing to fork out a modest sum of cash for a stylish iPod dock with decent audio quality, very limited functionality and a flimsy dock tray, then check out the Gecko Soundbase. But at this price point you should strongly consider the alternatives.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTIT Manager - ApplicationsOther
- TPLearning SpecialistQLD
- FTProgram CoordinatorACT
- FTRecords AnalystOther
- FTData ScientistACT
- FTSenior Developer - Node.js - APINSW
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerVIC
- CCProperty Project Manager - Office ExpansionNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Rules/ Real time analysis)VIC
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther
- FTCountry Manager - Business DevelopmentOther
- FTBig Data EngineerOther
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTMicrofocus Cobol DeveloperOther
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerOther
- CCJava Developer - BrisbaneSA
- CCJunior Network ArchitectACT
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCGIS SpecialistNSW
- CCLead Change ManagerNSW
- CCLinux Platform/Development SpecialistACT
- TPDigital Content Writer and LeadACT