Gecko Gear Soundbase
An attractive iPod dock.
- Looks good, iPod menu control via remote, good mid-range and treble
- Delicate iPod tray, no alarm clock function, radio is tedious to tune
The Gecko SoundBase is a stylish product with decent mid-range and treble, but its price is hard to justify given it lacks an alarm clock and isn't as easy to use as some other docks.
Price$ 179.00 (AUD)
The Gecko Soundbase is a simple iPod dock that combines good mid and upper-range audio definition with a reasonable price and a nice design. Unfortunately, it is let down by a lack of functions and a tedious programming process.
It looks attractive, with a simple soft black mesh front that covers the two speakers, two tweeters and LED display. Despite the mesh, most users won't have any trouble reading the display.
At the bottom of the fascia is a retractable iPod tray that can click into a locked position. This hidden style of dock helps make the Soundbase look sleek, but the tray feels flimsy when opened.
The Soundbase's remote control gives users partial control over an iPod's menu. We found that the system worked well; many other iPod docks don't offer this utility.
An auxiliary 3.5mm input can be found to the rear, between the built-in radio antenna and power jack. This means that other brands of MP3 players can be plugged in.
The Soundbase can be used to listen to both AM and FM radio. There are eight preset slots available (four AM and four FM), but the process of selecting them using the tiny buttons on the remote control is tedious. Users can hold down the up or down keys on the remote to toggle between stations, but it's faster and easier to manually tune the radio. Another negative point is the SoundBase's lack of an alarm clock. The LED display acts as a clock and has a timer mode, so the lack of an alarm seems odd.
The Gecko SoundBase is a mixed bag in terms of sound quality. At high volumes there is surprisingly little distortion and the mid-range and treble are detailed, albeit occasionally tinny. A lack of bass means that audio is hollow, but in this respect the SoundBase is on par with similarly priced docks such as the Logitech LS-LT1507V. The lack of equaliser options on the SoundBase is more disappointing (the Memorex Mi2013 Travel speaker is cheaper and includes an equaliser).
If you're willing to fork out a modest sum of cash for a stylish iPod dock with decent audio quality, very limited functionality and a flimsy dock tray, then check out the Gecko Soundbase. But at this price point you should strongly consider the alternatives.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence and Analytic Solution DesignersACT
- TPTechnical AnalystVIC
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery ExecutiveACT
- TPSenior Integration OfficerQLD
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- TPImplementation Planner - Payroll PortfolioQLD
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksACT
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANENSW
- CCSenior Solution AnalystVIC
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - End User ComputingNSW
- FTUX / UI Designer MobileNSW
- CCIT Systems Administrator-Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- FTIT Systems EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Infrastructure Engineer (Windows & Virtualization)VIC
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Nowra BasedNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst l GROUP LIFE INSURANCE l SydneyVIC
- FTIT Support / Desktop SupportSA
- CCJava Developer / System Designer - Aus Citizens OnlyWA
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- TPBI DeveloperNSW
- CCReporting Business AnalystACT