GE PJ1 digital camera and projector
GE PJ1 review: This is a poor quality camera with a built-in pico projector that's not very useful
- Easy to operate
- Poor image quality
- Poor projection quality
The GE PJ1 isn't a good product. Its camera is of poor quality and its projector isn't very useful. If you want a camera with a built-in projector, you're better off checking out Nikon's offering, which is actually a decent camera.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
The GE PJ1 serves as both a digital camera and a projector. It can be used to project just-taken pictures or it can be used in conjunction with the supplied cables and software to project the contents of a computer screen. The problem is that it can't perform any function very well.
The PJ1 isn't the best thought-out product we've ever seen. It wants to be something fun and quirky, while at the same time trying to cater to business users who might want to use it as a tool for presentations. However, it's a product that doesn't really accomplish any of those goals. Its pico projector is not of high enough quality to be used as a business tool; it's barely passable for viewing photos. The only thing that the PJ1 has going for it is a little bit of a 'wow' factor.
The camera in the PJ1 isn't great either. It has a 14-megapixel sensor, a 7x zoom lens with a 28-196mm range, and it has a built-in flash and basic controls. It's easy to operate, but because it only has very limited manual controls, you have to rely on the camera to get the exposure right every time, and it doesn't. Pictures taken in bright environments look pale and muddy and highlights are often over-exposed. In dark environments, images will be noisy and lack adequate contrast. Chromatic aberration is also cause for concern when shooting outdoors.
Basically, the PJ1 as a camera is barely any better than a typical smartphone camera. Taking this camera to the park to photograph your dog or ducks swimming in a pond is perhaps not a great idea as you'll probably end up with lots of poorly-defined and over-exposed shots. Its pictures are only just passable for use on social networking sites where they will be displayed at a much smaller size than their native 14 megapixels. If you look at the photos at a larger size on a high-definition screen, then all the problems with the quality will be immediately noticeable.
Despite shooting on a bright and sunny day, this was one of many images to come out pale and messy.
This photo is one of the better ones to come out of the PJ1, but it still has lots of chromatic aberration in the tree branches. It's noticeble in the middle and at the right of the image.
Shooting on an overcast day captured a white, overexposed sky, rather than the grey sky it should have been.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review: Full, in-depth review
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCJunior Cyber Security AnalystACT
- FTSales Manager - Global ISP Cloud Solutions ProviderVIC
- FTSenior Penetration TesterACT
- FTNetwork Technical Specialist L3 x 2 ? Large Telco ? 6 month contract initiallyNSW
- FTNetwork Engineering Team Lead/Network ManagerNSW
- FTDNS Network SpecialistOther
- FTProject Manager (Rail/ Signalling/Electrical / Construction)Other
- FTIT Systems AnalystOther
- FTSitecore Developer/ArchitectOther
- FTOpenText ConsultantQLD
- FTJava DevelopersVIC
- CCCisco Communication Engineer / Technician - FIFOWA
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Change Analyst - ERP implementationOther
- CCDatapower DeveloperACT
- TPDevOps Practice OfficerQLD
- CCVisualisation DeveloperNSW
- TPPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- CCFront-End DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW