FWD .Communicator 0.99.1
- Integration with Skype and IM clients
- Inconsistent and buggy
When they get this one right it will be top of the class. Look out for new versions.
Price$ None (AUD)
FWD.Communicator (short for Free World Dialer) is a combination SIP and proprietary client which allows FWD users to call other FWD users and users of any SIP phone. The novelty of FWD.Communicator lies in its integration with other client software for a richer experience.
The most interesting feature of FWD.Communicator is the send "Call-me link" option. This emails a link to a web page that allows any user with a Windows XP machine to communicate with the sender without the need to install any client - perfect for starting a conversation with a friend who mightn't have thought about using a VoIP client. In this sense, FWD allows the user to communicate with far more people than just FWD users and SIP clients. They extend this paradigm with integration for IM clients - Yahoo!, ICQ, MSN, AOL, Jabber and Google. This promises to not only show buddy status on the IM networks, but to allow the FWD user to host a cross-network chat. For example, and FWD user could chat with users on ICQ and MSN and all participants in the chat seeing messages as though all users are on the same network.
While this sounds like a great benefit, we couldn't get it to integrate with either of two IM networks we subscribe to. The log file shows unintelligible errors for now - we can only hope this is fixed in a future release. In addition, FWD includes the concept of shared buddy lists which allow for social networking - a user's buddy list can be made available to all their buddies. While an interesting idea, most users will likely be relieved to know that this is optional.
FWD can also be used to control Skype. It can control the Skype application to make calls and to show Skype buddy status. This is an excellent idea and when combined with the IM integration could bring a very useful integrated client - one window open instead of two or three and at-a-glance status of contacts over all the IM networks and Skype would make this application highly addictive to many wired individuals.
The client itself has a very simple, yet unfortunately slugglish interface. It seems to use a large amount of memory, no doubt increased with each integration that is configured. It isn't elegant though, and the buddy list/address book is awkward to configure and inconsistent in behavior. For example, users that aren't perfectly added just disappear without any explaination or error. However, it has some good ideas like the ability to configure alerts for each buddy - on sign on, sign off, away or returning from away it can play sounds, pop up alerts or send the buddy a message. Neat! Individual ringtones for each buddy are also possible. The client also supports RSS feeds which should make news junkies happy.
Like many other clients, FWD also includes the ability to connect to POTS services to make calls to regular telephones around the world for a fee.
FWD.Communicator looks like it will be an excellent client, but it isn't quite ready yet.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerSA
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- FTSupport OfficerSA
- FTTest CoordinatorACT
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- FTPMO CoordinatorVIC
- TPICT Customer Support Officer - ForsterNSW
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSSIS / SSRS DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- FTTeam LeaderSA
- FTSenior DBANSW
- FTManual TesterACT
- FTiOS DeveloperWA
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCSQL Server Database Specialist l Bathurst LocationNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerNSW
- FTProgramme ManagerACT
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- CCSystems Analyst- Port MacquarieQLD
- FTSAP ISU Billing Consultant - FunctionalVIC
- FTPHP / WordPress DeveloperQLD