Fullpower Technologies MotionX-GPS
Some decent GPS functionality, but this app falls short of its potential.
- Compass, can geotag photos taken within app, Google Maps with multi-touch
- Doesn't employ full potential of aGPS, interface could be better
For a fraction of the price of a dedicated device, MotionX-GPS provides GPS functionality for outdoor activities.
Price$ 3.99 (AUD)
There is no shortage of attempts by third-party developers to harness the iPhone 3G's GPS capabilities. Whereas CLO Software's Traffic Australia attempted to remedy the lack of traffic updates, MotionX-GPS attempts to transform the iPhone into a handheld off-road GPS device. This pits it against dedicated devices like Magellan's Triton 400 and Garmin's Oregon 300, while costing a fraction of the price.
The MotionX-GPS interface even resembles those found on Magellan and Garmin devices. There's no way to flick between screens as you would the iPhone home menu — the app relies on small buttons in the bottom navigation bar instead.
The different screens offer detailed location information, a stopwatch, compass, map, track screen, waypoints list, and a logbook. Camera functionality is integrated into the stopwatch screen, automatically tagging any picture taken in the MotionX-GPS app with geographical data and adding it to the current waypoint.
Functions like the compass and geolocation data screen are the most helpful, providing you with bearing, detailed latitudinal/longitudinal data and even a speed gauge. Unfortunately, the speed gauge fails to register speeds below 5km/h.
The app is largely successful in replicating a dedicated handheld GPS device. However, it doesn't take full advantage of the iPhone 3G's capabilities. Instead of using the iPhone 3G's assisted GPS technology, satellite signal acquisition in MotionX-GPS relies mainly on the phone's integrated GPS receiver. When a full satellite signal cannot be achieved, then the app will use network triangulation, employing carrier towers to approximate your location. The signal is imprecise but it is the best that the app can provide in many circumstances — we couldn't manage a full signal in a car or train.
The latest version of MotionX-GPS is the first to include a map screen and any form of basemap. The gives the app an advantage against its main competitor, Garafa's GPS Kit. Based on Google Maps, the app provides three different views — basic map, topographical and satellite photography — and can be zoomed in and out using multi-touch. Unfortunately, there is no way to cache or download maps, making the app reliant on a continuous data connection, and thus rendering the map screen useless in a remote location. Though we can understand this, we would have preferred a simple basemap to serve as a placeholder in these situations.
MotionX-GPS has some decent functionality, but it is only likely to replace low-end handheld GPS devices like Garmin's GPSMAP 76.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTDeployment Engineer / Field Service EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Regulatory Reforms, FinanceNSW
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCNP/CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- FTSenior Procurement Specialist | 3mth ContractVIC
- FTeCommerce Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANEQLD
- FTResearch Officer / Data Scientist .Work Location- ACTACT
- CCMicrosoft (Sharepoint) SpecialistNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- CCSystems Analyst- Port MacquarieQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCMid-level Business Process Analyst (Automation) - Contract - ParramattaNSW
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- FTProcurement OfficerACT
- CCSenior Process ModellerNSW
- FTLevel 3 Service Desk Support Engineer / Project ManagerQLD
- TPUAT CoordinatorQLD
- FTApplication Support EngineerACT
- FTCustomer Service OperatorVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - Solutions and ApplicationsQLD
- CCDevOps Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTIT Support / Desktop SupportSA