Fujifilm FinePix S8100fd
18x ultra-zoom camera with image stabilisation
- 18x zoom, image stabilisation, fast shutter speed
- Some noise issues, colours a little too vivid
A solid advanced ultra-zoom camera, FujiFilm's FinePix S8100fd offers an 18x zoom lens with sensor shift stabilisation and captures good but not outstanding photographs.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
A slightly upgraded version of the FinePix S1000fd, the FujiFilm FinePix S8100fd features several key improvements over its sibling. This time around sensor shift stabilisation is included and several of the speed issues have been rectified. While you will pay more for this unit, it is definitely worth it if you're after an advanced camera with a large zoom.
With an 18x lens, the S8100fd offers one of the biggest zooms in the business. Furthermore, unlike the FinePix S1000fd, it is supported by dual image stabilisation (both ISO adjustment and sensor shift) which is a huge boon. It's almost impossible to take handheld shots at any kind of large zoom level without stabilisation, as even the most minute hand shake is enough to blur the image.
On the whole we were impressed with the S8100fd's shots, although there were a few niggling issues. The 10-megapixel sensor captures fairly sharp snaps with no prominent over- or under-sharpening. It didn't capture quite as much detail as some competing units, but it certainly produced shots that will be fine for most print sizes. Chromatic aberration was well controlled despite the large lens, with only slight haloing on high-contrast edges, minimal purple fringing, and no detail loss towards the edges of the frame.
Colour balance wasn't all that accurate, with a bright, over-saturated tone. While this may be suitable for an entry-level unit, on an ultra-zoom that is clearly targeted at more experienced users we'd have preferred a softer, more natural look. As with past FujiFilm models, there are no onboard colour calibration options, so if you do want to tweak the balance you'll need to do it in post processing.
The biggest issue with the S8100fd's shots is noise. Even at ISO 100 our shots were quite grainy and by ISO 400 there was some detail loss creeping in. Once we hit ISO 800 our shots lost significant clarity; we wouldn't recommend pushing above this limit unless you absolutely have to.
In our speed tests this unit did much better than many other ultra-zooms. It took 2.5 seconds to fire up, which is speedy considering the large lens, exhibited an extremely quick 0.05 seconds of shutter lag, and took 2.2 seconds between shots. The burst mode was a little sluggish at two frames per second at full resolution, but there are several faster options if you're happy with less detailed shots.
The unit has a relatively robust set of features, with full manual shooting modes for more creative photography. There is also Face Detect as well as the aforementioned dual stabilisation. A handful of scene modes are also present, along with a bracketing option and sharpness controls.
The design is chunky; this is unavoidable in a camera housing a lens of this size. It is quite comfortable to hold thanks to the rubber grips, but it certainly is a hefty device weighing in at 410g (almost as much as a low-end SLR). One feature we loved was the 2.5in screen, which was colourful, detailed and had an excellent refresh rate. It responded perfectly to fast movement and made framing our shots a joy.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony’s New RX10 IV combines Fast AF and 24 FPS continuous shooting with 24-600mm F2.4-F4 Zoom Lens
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Panasonic Announces LUMIX DC-GH5 Firmware Update Service
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- Camera app makers tap into RAW power with iOS, and look forward to dual lenses
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSystem EngineerOther
- FTData DeveloperOther
- TPQlik DeveloperQLD
- FTDigital Project ManagerWA
- FTData Scientist/Java LeadVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW
- CCIteration Manager - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTEmail Campaign Production SpecialistOther
- TPSolution Architect - Networks & SecurityQLD
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AZURE/ O365Other
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Wintel EngineerOther
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceSA
- CCReporting Data Analyst - TelcoVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Oracle ConsultantNSW
- TPSharePoint Business AnalystVIC
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTSystem EngineerOther
- FTJunior Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther
- FTGraduate Inside Sales Consultant - SMSF SolutionsOther