Fuji Xerox Phaser 4510/N mono laser printer
This printer is fast and built to last, and we love its cheap toner, but we wish we could get a decent graphic from it.
- Fast text printing, inexpensive consumables, sturdy
- Expensive, abysmal graphics quality
The Fuji Xerox Phaser 4510/N is well designed, cheap to maintain, and very fast. But you'll be happier with it if you don't try to use it to print graphics.
Price$ 1,929.95 (AUD)
The great big billy goat gruff of the three that also include the (relatively) little Xerox Phaser 3250/DN and the medium-size Xerox Phaser 3600/N, the Xerox Phaser 4510/N monochrome laser printer seems to have a mission in life: to print plain-text documents as quickly as possible. This it does--and very well, too--but we expected for more from a printer this expensive ($1929.95 as of June 25, 2009).
The Phaser 4510/N excels at printing plain text but falters at printing graphics. Xerox claims a top engine speed of 45 pages per minute; and in our tests, text flew out at a rate of 39.7 pages per minute --putting the Phaser 4510/N just a shade behind our fastest machine to date, the Oki Printing Solutions B6500n. Graphics speeds slowed to average levels (about 7.5 ppm), but output quality plummeted. Photographic images tended to look dark and grainy, with a narrow range of contrast that obscured fine details. Even in solid color bars, we observed a distracting level of streakiness and horizontal banding. In fairness, none of the other expensive, high-volume monochrome printers we tested produced decent graphics output either, but this model's prints were among the worst.
The printer is sturdy and expandable, with a sophisticated control panel. Its standard configuration holds 700 sheets of paper in a 550-sheet main input tray and a 150-sheet multipurpose tray. Both pieces felt stiff, well-reinforced, and ready to handle frequent paper reloads. You can add one or two more 550-sheet trays, or an automatic duplexer. The top output tray holds 500 sheets. Each tray comes with an intricate set of guides and locking buttons that, after some fiddling around, you can use to resize the guides to accommodate media from envelopes to legal-size pages. The control panel's six-line, monochrome LCD gives you lots of room to read through menu items and status messages. Next to the LCD is an intuitively laid-out set of buttons for navigating and choosing settings.
Cheap toner is another big selling point for the Phaser 4510/N. The printer ships with a standard-size, 10,000-page cartridge. Replacing it with a cartridge of the same size costs $226.27, or an affordable 2.3 cents per page. The fuser and image drum will wear out at 200,000 print pages.
The Xerox Phaser 4510/N is well designed, cheap to maintain, and very fast. But you'll be happier with it if you don't try to use it to print graphics.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTCustomer Service OperatorVIC
- CCTechnical WriterVIC
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- FTDemand Release ManagerNSW
- CCProject Delivery CoordinatorQLD
- CCSenior Network Architect - CCIEVIC
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- FTSenior Software Developer (x3)WA
- CCCommercial ManagerVIC
- CCIT Systems Administrator-Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- CCWintel Support EngineerVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- TPSystems EngineerQLD
- TPProject Manager | Applications and Project InitiationQLD
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieNSW
- FTManual TesterACT
- FTDisaster Recovery AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Data EngineerNSW
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC