Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b colour laser printer
Fuji Xerox's cheap colour laser printer is great for producing professional-looking documents
- Low initial cost
- Good black text quality
- Slow first page out time
- Colour print quality could be better
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b would make a good printer for a small office or home business that doesn't need multifunction capabilities like copying or scanning. It's not fast to get the first page out but after that it's able to produce good quality text and acceptable colour at a reasonable pace.
Price$ 199.99 (AUD)
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is a cheap colour laser printer that is suited to document printing. While its colour print quality isn't as good as a more expensive colour laser or an inkjet, and its consumables are slightly more costly than a more initially expensive laser printer, the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b makes a useful device for a small office or home business.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b: Design
Our Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b was finished in a lurid pink colour, showing Fuji Xerox's support for breast cancer research. Every pink Fuji Xerox printer sold before 30 June 2011 donates $5 to the Sydney Breast Cancer Foundation — a small amount, but every cent helps and we applaud Fuji Xerox for its effort.
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b isn't too different from the step-up DocuPrint CP205 — it has the same bottom-loading paper cassette with a 150 sheet capacity. Paper is outputted through the DocuPrint CP105b's top, but you can only fit 100 sheets in the output tray at once. Unlike on the Fuji Xerox M205b the CP105b is light on buttons. It doesn't even have the two-line LCD screen of the DocuPrint CP205 so you're forced to do all printer configuration and maintenance through Fuji Xerox's printer driver.
We set the DocuPrint CP105b up with an Apple Macbook Pro, using Windows as well as Mac OS X. In both operating systems the Fuji Xerox installed drivers quickly and without hassle, and we didn't see anything glaring missing from maintenance or toner management options — important when the printer doesn't have a screen to monitor everything.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b: Performance and print quality
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is different from Fuji Xerox's more expensive printers in that it doesn't have a great deal of internal memory, so larger print jobs can take a while to start printing. The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b's first page out to be roughly around 30 seconds with our monochrome test document, while printing in colour bumps up the wait time to just under 40 seconds.
The main hindrance to running off a couple of pages with the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is the long wait for the first page out. After the first page is produced subsequent sheets come quickly. Once the printer gets up to speed you can expect a colour page every ten seconds or so, so longer print runs at normal printing quality have an average colour printing speed of just under six pages a minute. Black printing is significantly faster as we managed just over ten pages per minute.
Print quality is good for black toner — we prefer laser over inkjet for black document printing purely because of the solid-looking text with no bleeding — and the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is also acceptable for colour. We thought colour graphics occasionally looked posterised and grainy, but for a professional document they're acceptable. We definitely wouldn't use the DocuPrint CP105b for printing a colour photo, though.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b: Toner costs
Replacement toner cartridges for the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b — there are four, for black, cyan, magenta and yellow — can be bought from online or retail stores for acceptably low prices, although more expensive printers still have cheaper cartridges overall. The 2000-page black cartridge is $89 and each colour cartridge costs $99, giving the DocuPrint CP105b an ongoing cost of 4.5 cents per black A4 page and 21.2 cents per colour A4 page. These costs are identical to the DocuPrint CP205 which we thought was competitive with other entry-level lasers. We also like the high page yields of the DocuPrint CP105b's toner.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b: Conclusion
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is a cheap printer that would be well suited to a small business or home office with small to moderate printing needs.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 3 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 4 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTGraduate Inside Sales Consultant - SMSF SolutionsOther
- FTSenior Infrastructure Engineer - hands on roleOther
- FTFTTx Network Area PlannerOther
- FTFront End Developer (Urgent)Other
- FTSenior Software DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Tech Business AnalystNSW
- FTOperational Systems Support SpecialistOther
- FTBusiness Transformation LeadOther
- FTData Scientist (Scientific Computing Specialist)ACT
- CCSenior Developer - Oracle - TelcoVIC
- FTBusiness Delivery Project Manager, Digital, AdvertisingOther
- TPSenior/Principal Business Analyst - TransformationQLD
- FTScrum Master / Senior Business AnalystOther
- CCProgram Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- CCSalesforce Technical ArchitectNSW
- TPAngular 1.4 - 6 months contractQLD
- CCSenior Network DesignerVIC
- FTProject Manager | High Profile 4 year Transformation ProjectQLD
- FTPortfolio Manager/ Process Methodology Manager.Other
- FTService Desk Consultant - Must have baseline or NV1 clearanceOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW