Freshtel Holdings 4030 Stickphone
- Doubles as a USB key, ideal for travelling, VoIP software and drivers included, contact list attached to your account
- Plan needs to be upgraded to call landlines, audio could be louder, minimal storage for USB key
The 4030 Stickphone is a handy on-the-go VoIP solution ideal for travellers.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
The Freshtel 4030 Stickphone is a USB VoIP phone that connects to a PC, and is able to make VoIP calls via the Freshtel service. The package consists of a USB stick, a headset with microphone handset, and a free Freshtel account, which can be upgraded to make calls if you wish. Conveniently, the Stickphone also doubles as a 128MB USB key.
The 4030 has been designed for travellers and can be used on any PC with a USB port. It isn't cordless, so it can't be used away from a computer. Setup is a fairly simple process; users plug the phone into a spare USB port, and let Windows configure the installation itself. The Freshtel Firefly software, which is necessary to make or receive calls with the service, is installed automatically each time you plug in the Stickphone, so there is no hassle of installation, or having to restart your PC.
The Firefly software is pretty easy to use, as the interface resembles the shape, look and feel of a mobile phone. There is a keypad (although it's easier to use the num pad on your keyboard), two selection buttons answer/end call keys as well as volume and microphone sliders. Dialling a phone number is as simple entering it and then pressing the green call button. The Firefly software also features a contact list, similar to a phonebook on a mobile phone. Conveniently, your contact list always stays with you, even if you change PC's, as contacts are linked to your Freshtel account. The contact list looks remarkably simular to the Windows Live Messenger interface, as users can create groups and hide contacts that are offline.
The Freshtel service works the same as a regular landline, with the exception that the PC and broadband Internet service must be running to both make and receive VoIP calls. The default Freshtel service bundled with the 4030 is a free plan that can make free calls to other Firefly users, but can't dial regular landline phone numbers. To do this, users must upgrade to a monthly plan; more details can be found here: https://www.freshtel.net/firefly/signup/?reset=true
During calls we found the audio quality to be satisfactory, but the volume at its highest setting wasn't as loud as we would have liked. In-call quality was a mixed bag, but we were able to hold a conversation without too much fuss. Most of our callers complained of a slight delay and echo on their end, while we experienced a bit of distortion and hissing at ours. However, these issues didn't really stop us from having clear, intelligible conversations, so for the price, the service is decent. The main point worth noting is that the quality of service (QOS) of VoIP depends largely on your Internet connection, and this is something we have no control over. The quality and overall reliability of the Freshtel service relies on the quality and speed of your Internet connection.
The 4030 is very compact, which means it can easily be thrown into a laptop bag for those who have access to mobile broadband. The 4030 is powered via the USB connection to a PC, so it doesn't need any batteries, nor does it need to be charged. For use as a USB key, the Stickphone will provide 112MB of storage, as 16MB is taken up by the built-in drivers and software.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Netgear delivers industry first networking devices with remote management from anywhere in the world
- Synology announces slew of new hardware + software at Sydney event
- Linksys signs on as PAX AUS partner
- NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem Keeps You Online
- ASUSTOR and Seagate Technology Bring IronWolf Health Management to ASUSTOR NAS
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTChief Information Security OfficerVIC
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Project ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Test Data Management ConsultantVIC
- FTMarketing and Advertising Project/Sales SupportOther
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther
- CCC++ Developer - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTPreSales / Offerings Solution Architect - BPS or BPONSW
- FTIT Project Coordinator | Gold CoastQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW
- FTIntegration AnalystNSW
- CCPega LSA - Banking IndustryVIC
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerNSW
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- FTDigital BAOther
- FTProject Coordinator - PC DeploymentsOther
- FTBusiness Manager (Business Management & PMO)Other
- FTSenior Network EngineerOther
- CCITSM Project ManagerNSW
- FTSolution Architect - SalesforceOther
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Content Manager | AEM , HTML and CSSOther