Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB
- Thermostatically controlled fan keeps it quiet, a portion of the drive is encrypted
- No software pre-installed, ease of use
A feature-rich product with a good selection of software and excellent build quality, the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB lacks the designer style or extreme ease of use of some competing products.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
A conventional-looking USB drive, Freecom's Hard Drive Pro eschews quirky angular shapes and calming mood lighting in favour of a functional yet smart design in a reassuringly rugged case.
Unlike some other USB hard drives, the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB has no software pre-installed. Instead you must install the applications from the supplied CD.
This means you don't have to burn your own setup CD if you want to format the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB, but it also makes initial installation rather less friendly – it's certainly not automatic.
The Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB's case is fitted with a fan, but it's thermostatically controlled, so most of the time the device is very quiet.
This Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB is available in either USB with eSATA or USB with Firewire800 versions. Unlike Seagate's FreeAgent Pro you can't get all three interfaces in one device.
Furthermore, the version of the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB with Firewire has an additional button which allows access to a protected, encrypted portion of the drive. This helps protect your sensitive data in the event that the drive is lost or stolen.
Freecom's own software suite includes encryption and password protection applications and auto-run setup application and backup software that includes support for the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB's one-touch auto synch button.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Western Digital’s new MicroSD card enables 24/7 next-gen video capture
- Western Digital Ups The Game With Powerful New Gaming SSD
- QNAP Launches The Quad-Core TS-253Be and TS-453Be NAS
- Synology C2 Backup Now Available to Users Worldwide
- Intel launches 800P Optane SSD
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSAP HR & Workforce AnalystOther
- FTSenior Consultant - DevOpsOther
- TPSystems AdministratorQLD
- FTSenior Android DeveloperOther
- CCField Technician - Windows/ Office 365 EnvironmentVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Network EngineerOther
- CCDevops EngineerQLD
- CCProgram Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTSenior AX Developer / Team LeadOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Test AnalystWA
- TPSenior Technical Business AnalystQLD
- CCDB2 SpecialistACT
- FTServiceNow- Platform DesignerOther
- FTIntegration ArchitectOther
- FTApplication Support EngineerQLD
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCService Management ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Test Analyst (Office 365)Other
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- TPProject ManagerACT
- CCPerformance AnalystNSW
- FTDesktop Support AnalystOther