CyberSentinel is an easy-to-use remote monitoring system to spy on your kids' online behaviour.
- Price includes licences for five computers
- Can't control access to applications on the PC
As with all applications of this type, payment is via annual subscription. Again, Sentry pips CyberSentinel at the post here, at US$39/year, although the latter does include licences for five PCs in the price. If you have more computers around the home that you want to monitor, then CyberSentinel may be the preferable option, but if you would like more options to configure how your children use a computer, Sentry Parental Controls eases ahead.
Price$ 39.00 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in US$.
There has been a trend for some time whereby creators of parental controls software use the internet much more actively as a tool for monitoring and setting limits on what children can do online. This began as simply a means to send information via e-mail when certain restrictions were breached, but increasingly the software installed on a PC now works as a very simple client with the real work being done via a web site.
This was true of Sentry Parental Controls which we reviewed recently, and also applies to Forensic Software's CyberSentinel. During installation, parents need to set up an online account before downloading CyberSentinel, a small application that then records and transmits data that can be accessed via any computer connected to the net.
Once the CyberSentinel is installed — a very simple process — the user logs onto the CyberSentinel website to configure access. The essentials that one would expect are all in place: inappropriate web sites can be blocked, as can chat and instant messaging, and all outgoing and incoming information is monitored. In addition, times for internet access can be limited in CyberSentinel to specific hours via the site without the need to set anything else up on the client PC.
If there is a problem, CyberSentinel e-mails you immediately. What's more, it will take a desktop snapshot of the PC under surveillance, which can be accessed when you log onto the site, along with records of all recent activity. Key words are stored in an online library, which you edit and update as you require.
The CyberSentinel client application can be run visibly or in stealth mode (Forensic Software, quite rightly, recommends the former). While this can appear a little heavy-handed — the child has to agree to a usage policy before being able to access the net — it also means that the important task of creating responsible use for using web sites, chat and instant messaging can be established from the outset.
Ease of use is key here, and CyberSentinel is flexible enough for most needs, although its features are not quite as extensive as some other programs. In particular, while very good at monitoring online use, there is no obvious way in CyberSentinel to control access to such things as applications on the PC — although computer games in particular may contain questionable content, especially of a violent nature.
Join the newsletter!
Bitdefender’s best-in-class security solutions have been awarded Product of the Year.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- McAfee Launches Industry’s Most Comprehensive Cloud Security Solution for Microsoft Azure
- D-Link ANZ Partners Exclusively with AVSystem for Zero-Touch Device Management in Australia and New Zealand
- Intel tells customers to stop rolling out faulty patches
- CES 2018: Google Assistant To Come To Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperNSW
- CCTalend Integration DeveloperOther
- FTProject Manager - Infrastructure ProjectsNSW
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | $971/dayQLD
- FTSenior Security SpecialistOther
- FTTechnical Quality LeadVIC
- FTGreenfield Implementation SAP IS-U DM | SAP IS-U DM | SAP ECOther
- CCDevops EngineerQLD
- FTSecurity EngineerOther
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCAutomation Test EngineerQLD
- FTGraduate Recruiter - Large Blue Chip clientOther
- FTJava Developer (Axway API)Other
- FTNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTCustomer Data AnalystOther
- CCProgram DirectorNSW
- TPJunior Network EngineerQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPPrincipal SAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Test Analyst - Multiple rolesOther
- CCSCCM Application Packager - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- TPDigital ProducerVIC