Filter Forge is a tool for creating plug-ins
- Innovative, many user-created effects, intuitive nodal filter creation tool
- Doesn’t work as a Smart Filter
Filter Forge is a powerful and logical way of creating effects that’s relatively easy to learn by seeing how other effects are built. Creating filters from scratch is time-consuming, but for a wider user group, it’s a great way to modify already-created effects.
Price$ 160.79 (AUD)
Filter Forge is — by quite a margin — the most powerful plug-in we’ve looked at here. That’s because it’s a tool for creating plug-ins, both generative texture-creation tools and effects filters.
It’s available in three versions. The Basic version allows you to use filters created in Filter Forge — including the 5000-plus downloadable from the company’s website. A beta version for Mac has just been released.
The Standard version gives you a node-based editor for creating and modifying filters. The Professional version is the version that most Digital Arts readers will want: it adds support for images larger than 3000 pixels wide or tall, and multi-core workstations.
The Photoshop plug-in side of Filter Forge gives you a dialog based around five texture categories and three effect groups. When you select your filter, you have a choice of presets, settings, and lighting options. The Settings tab has
a Randomizer button that helps you learn what each parameter does. There are about 50 filters provided, while the ‘Download More Filters’ button takes you to the Filter Forge website, where there are loads more created by the online community. Some of these are truly excellent.
Building your own plug-ins takes place in the Filter Editor. This gives you a grid on which to build a nodal system from more than 80 components, like building a composition in a VFX tool. These include user inputs, generators, and processing tools.
Join the newsletter!
Bitdefender’s best-in-class security solutions have been awarded Product of the Year.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCAutomation Tester - Selenium Web DriverVIC
- CCSystem Administrator (TRIM)QLD
- CCSenior Node.js DeveloperQLD
- FTSecurity SpecialistOther
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- TPProject Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- FTC++/Python DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Rail Project Manager, Fleet TransformationOther
- CCSystem Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTIT Program ManagerOther
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - Cyber Security TransformationOther
- TPDigital ProducerVIC
- FTSenior Solutions Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Solution Architect - Brisbane locationVIC
- FTJava Developer (API)Other
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Integration DeveloperVIC
- CCInfrastructure System Specialist - BrisbaneNSW
- TPAgile Business Analyst | Federal Government | EL1QLD
- FTCustomer Data AnalystOther