Filter Forge is a tool for creating plug-ins
- Innovative, many user-created effects, intuitive nodal filter creation tool
- Doesn’t work as a Smart Filter
Filter Forge is a powerful and logical way of creating effects that’s relatively easy to learn by seeing how other effects are built. Creating filters from scratch is time-consuming, but for a wider user group, it’s a great way to modify already-created effects.
Price$ 160.79 (AUD)
Filter Forge is — by quite a margin — the most powerful plug-in we’ve looked at here. That’s because it’s a tool for creating plug-ins, both generative texture-creation tools and effects filters.
It’s available in three versions. The Basic version allows you to use filters created in Filter Forge — including the 5000-plus downloadable from the company’s website. A beta version for Mac has just been released.
The Standard version gives you a node-based editor for creating and modifying filters. The Professional version is the version that most Digital Arts readers will want: it adds support for images larger than 3000 pixels wide or tall, and multi-core workstations.
The Photoshop plug-in side of Filter Forge gives you a dialog based around five texture categories and three effect groups. When you select your filter, you have a choice of presets, settings, and lighting options. The Settings tab has
a Randomizer button that helps you learn what each parameter does. There are about 50 filters provided, while the ‘Download More Filters’ button takes you to the Filter Forge website, where there are loads more created by the online community. Some of these are truly excellent.
Building your own plug-ins takes place in the Filter Editor. This gives you a grid on which to build a nodal system from more than 80 components, like building a composition in a VFX tool. These include user inputs, generators, and processing tools.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Billions of devices at risk as Bluetooth-bourne vulnerability exposed
- Here's the Apple macOS High Sierra release date
- Adobe and Microsoft expand productivity partnership
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPSenior Analyst|Progress ProgrammerQLD
- FTJunior-Mid level Technical Software Support/Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTSupport Analyst/DevOpsVIC
- FTSenior Network Consultant / Junior ArchitectVIC
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Solution Architect - Data CentreACT
- FTScheduling and Reporting Analyst | 3mth ContractOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTEnterprise Application AdministratorQLD
- TPProject Manager - Information ManagementVIC
- FTFront End Developer with UX designOther
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- FTGraduate C# DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCTRIM Support OfficerACT
- FTInfrastructure/Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - InsuranceOther
- FTSenior Network Engineer - CCIEOther
- FTBatch support specialistVIC
- CCTraining Co-OrdinatorNSW
- FTService Request ManagerSA