Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
A hand-held steadicam ideal for YouTube Live Broadcasting and social media
- Works very well
- Very well built
- Quiet motors
- No carry case
If you're serious about recording video on your phone, whether on Periscope or Youtube Live Broadcast (or something else), this is a great buy.
Price$ 374.00 (AUD)
If you’ve ever shot extended video with your phone, you know that the results can get shaky and annoying – especially when walking around. Feiyu’s G4 Plus mount for smartphone gets rid of all such vibration by using three gyroscopes and motion sensors to smooth out all small or sudden movements. And it works really well.
It feels incredibly well built – out of aircraft-grade aluminium and is relatively light at 410g considering the technology inside. It takes two IMR 18350 (900mAh) batteries which is slightly disappointing as they’re not a commonly-sold size. However, Feiyu supplies four of them and they can be recharged both in the gimbal or in an included charging dock via an (also included) old-school miniUSB cable.
All operation is done by one button which is easily accessed by your thumb (although there’s an off switch at the bottom too. The button cycles through a few modes when you press it: one that only allows panning, only tilting or a full lock in a certain direction. A triple press inverts the phone meaning you can invert the gimbal and hold it upside-down for some really obscure shots.
All motors use “brush technology” to help keep the noise down when moving. You can still hear the occasional whine when making large movements but only when you’re in a quiet environment.
The mount on the G4 Plus is big enough for phones the size of an iPhone 6S Plus or Huawei Mate 8 – about 6 inches. We also happily used a small Huawei P9 with it. Feiyu provides two different-sized counter weights to assist with balance – you need to spend time getting that right or your whole video will tilt at the same angle.
At the base of the handle is a 20mm thread mount. It would have been nice to add a way of fixing it to a standard tripod or monopod included though.
Ultimately, we’ve used this a lot. It’s great for anyone who uses their phone for video - whether outside recording, broadcasting on Periscope, Youtube’s new Live Broadcast or talking on camera, selfie-stick style.
It’s expensive but it’s a deceptively-serious piece of technology.
Feiyu also sent us a G4S gimbal. This variant is the same but for its GoPro mount instead of a smartphone mount. It also comes in a nice travel case which is missing from the G4 Plus. The company also makes many other stabilizing mounts for a variety of camera sizes that fit on people, cars or planes. They’re pricey, but going by this the quality is there. Just note they all have confusing product codes so double-check that you're buying the right one!Read more: Huawei P9 smartphone review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
We loved using these mounts and will continue to do so. If you’re an enthusiast about recording video like this, the G4 Plus is a great buy.
- Twitter is bringing an in-app Periscope button to all
- Snapchat's Discover feature gets magazine-style makeover
- Review: Tudia Klip seeks to prolong the life of iPhone and iPad charging cables
- Tiny and fast: Lexar’s 200GB 633x microSDXC UHS-I card review
- YouTube live mobile video changes everything
- All coverage from Computex 2016
- Review: Incipio OtterBox and 3Sixt cases for the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge
- Review: Wireless charging and waterproof cases for iPhone plus Ollclip (Movie) Studio case
- Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- Review: HTC One X9 and OPPO R9 - mid-range Android phones
- Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- LG shakes up its mobile division after lackluster G5 sales
- A technologically-flippant woman’s guide to technology. Part One
- Snapchat launches Memories so you can save and search for past stories
- Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- What do Sydney's famous landmarks look like in a Pokemon world?
- HoudahGeo 5 review: Now every DSLR photo can include geotags
- Get to know iOS 10's updated Apple News app with breaking news notifications
- Moleskine Timepage review: A true day planner for the digital age
- Fenix RC40 review: This flashlight is so powerful, it'll even charge your phone
- How to make your phone look and work more like stock Android
- How to buy a 2nd hand camera in Tokyo, Japan
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Intel tells customers to stop rolling out faulty patches
- Why parents should worry about Office 365's Immersive Reader dictation feature for students
- Humble Monthly is selling Civilization VI for 80% off
- Moto E5 Release Date, Price & Specification Rumours
- CES 2018: Ring founder Jamie Siminoff sheds light on his vision for a more-connected, more-secure future
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review: Full, in-depth review
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPDevOps Practice OfficerQLD
- FTLead Mobile App DeveloperQLD
- CCNetwork Technical Specialist L3 x 2 ? Large Telco ? 6 month contract initiallyNSW
- FTNetwork Engineering Team Lead/Network ManagerACT
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerVIC
- FTCyber Security Engineer - AWS Project!Other
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTFront-End DeveloperSA
- FTInside Sales Representative - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTProgram Manager - CRM software solutionsOther
- TPWeb Analytics DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTSecurity Cleared Network EngineerACT
- FTPython Developer - FinTech/TradingOther
- FTApplication/Systems Support AnalystOther
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical Integration LeadOther
- CCFull Stack Developer (Angular / .Net)NSW
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork ArchitectQLD
- FTMid Level .Net DeveloperOther
- CCDigital DesignerNSW
- FT.NET Developers (Perm and Contract)WA