FaceVsion TouchCam N1 webcam
FaceVision's TouchCam N1 is a webcam with dual microphones
- Adjustments and autofocus yield high video quality, excellent audio quality
- Compatible with Skype only, bulky design
The FaceVsion TouchCam N1 HD Webcam is a bit hefty, but it packs a lot of power into its 720p HD video capture.
Price$ 189.99 (AUD)
The FaceVsion TouchCam N1 is not just for casual video chatting--at $189.99, this camera means business, too. In my hands-on testing, this high-definition webcam delivered excellent sound capture and solid picture quality.
The TouchCam N1 is fully compatible with Skype HD; and like the Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910 and the Freetalk Everyman HD, it is Skype-certified. It supports 720p high-definition video calling at 22 frames per second and comes equipped with an adaptive H.264 encoder (to enhance your video experience), an autofocus wide-angle lens, and a dual microphone system.
This slightly bulky, rectangular webcam measures 3.9x1.8x2.4 inches, and weighs 2.1 ounces. Its flexible base and arm attachment anchor it firmly to the top of your monitor. Its weight makes attaching it to the side of your monitor rather difficult, however, so your best is to park it on top. Unfortunately, you can't tilt the webcam once it's in place; instead, to adjust its angle, you must unclip and reseat the entire webcam. The Skype software doesn't provide a way to zoom in or pan from left to right, either.
Setting up the TouchCam N1 is simple: You just plug it in via its attached USB cable, open Skype, and start calling. Not having to download any additional software is very convenient, but since the webcam is designed specifically to runs Skype software -- you can't use it with other video chat clients. And because it comes without extra effects, the only way to change elements such as contrast, brightness, hue, and backlight composition is with Skype's manual settings loaded through Windows.
To permit the webcam to shoot in high def, your computer must meet certain system requirements. Skype video call quality and picture quality depend heavily on the Internet connections involved, and the system requirements for enabling the TouchCam N1 to capture in HD are pretty steep: a minimum 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 1GB of RAM, and 200MB of hard disk space. You also need 1.2-mbps upload and download speeds at both ends, Windows XP or higher, and Skype 4.2 or later.
The TouchCam N1 provided fluid motion capture during a videoconference, without any noticeable drag or delay. The camera kept my face in focus no matter how much I moved, and the autofocus lens made subtle adjustments quickly. The picture remained bright under all sorts of lighting conditions; however, white objects in environments with high overhead lighting appeared blindingly bright. Manually adjusting the brightness setting via Skype, or dimming the overhead lights (if you can) may fix this.
The TouchCam N1 keeps the subject of the video capture very clear, but objects in the background often look a little grainy. The wide-angle lens puts much of your surroundings in the shot, but the graininess problem introduces some fuzziness there. Colors were impressive--vibrant and true to hue on the standard setting in natural light.
The webCam's dual microphones excel in picking up the speakers' voice. My chat partners never had trouble hearing me, and the TouchCam N1's wide design helps it pick up the sound of your voice if you ever need to move away from your monitor.
Despite a few problems with graininess, FaceVsion's TouchCam N1 is a great choice for an HD webcam--but only if you're loyal to Skype and are willing to pay a little extra. In comparison with a typical non-HD webcam, the TouchCam N1's clear video capture and embedded microphones shine. In view of its lack of extra features and effects, this model is ideal for business calls and for casual Skype users who don't require those extras.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Ring Bolster Security Offering With Cameras, Lights, Alarms and Subscription Service
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDesktop/Field Services EngineerQLD
- FTTest Manager - InfrastructureOther
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerOther
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTJava DevelopersVIC
- TP.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- FTIT Security OfficerACT
- FTIT Contract Analyst/ ManagerOther
- FTOpenText ConsultantACT
- FTSenior Scrum MasterOther
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- CCSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerNSW
- FTIT Support OfficerWA
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- CCTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - HP Service Manager 9NSW
- CCSolution Architect ? Office 365 MigrationQLD
- CCSenior Test Coordinator - IMRNSW
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Wealth & AgileOther
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- TPBusiness Consulting Senior PrincipalACT
- CCBusiness AdministratorNSW