FaceVsion TouchCam N1 webcam
FaceVision's TouchCam N1 is a webcam with dual microphones
- Adjustments and autofocus yield high video quality, excellent audio quality
- Compatible with Skype only, bulky design
The FaceVsion TouchCam N1 HD Webcam is a bit hefty, but it packs a lot of power into its 720p HD video capture.
Price$ 189.99 (AUD)
The FaceVsion TouchCam N1 is not just for casual video chatting--at $189.99, this camera means business, too. In my hands-on testing, this high-definition webcam delivered excellent sound capture and solid picture quality.
The TouchCam N1 is fully compatible with Skype HD; and like the Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910 and the Freetalk Everyman HD, it is Skype-certified. It supports 720p high-definition video calling at 22 frames per second and comes equipped with an adaptive H.264 encoder (to enhance your video experience), an autofocus wide-angle lens, and a dual microphone system.
This slightly bulky, rectangular webcam measures 3.9x1.8x2.4 inches, and weighs 2.1 ounces. Its flexible base and arm attachment anchor it firmly to the top of your monitor. Its weight makes attaching it to the side of your monitor rather difficult, however, so your best is to park it on top. Unfortunately, you can't tilt the webcam once it's in place; instead, to adjust its angle, you must unclip and reseat the entire webcam. The Skype software doesn't provide a way to zoom in or pan from left to right, either.
Setting up the TouchCam N1 is simple: You just plug it in via its attached USB cable, open Skype, and start calling. Not having to download any additional software is very convenient, but since the webcam is designed specifically to runs Skype software -- you can't use it with other video chat clients. And because it comes without extra effects, the only way to change elements such as contrast, brightness, hue, and backlight composition is with Skype's manual settings loaded through Windows.
To permit the webcam to shoot in high def, your computer must meet certain system requirements. Skype video call quality and picture quality depend heavily on the Internet connections involved, and the system requirements for enabling the TouchCam N1 to capture in HD are pretty steep: a minimum 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 1GB of RAM, and 200MB of hard disk space. You also need 1.2-mbps upload and download speeds at both ends, Windows XP or higher, and Skype 4.2 or later.
The TouchCam N1 provided fluid motion capture during a videoconference, without any noticeable drag or delay. The camera kept my face in focus no matter how much I moved, and the autofocus lens made subtle adjustments quickly. The picture remained bright under all sorts of lighting conditions; however, white objects in environments with high overhead lighting appeared blindingly bright. Manually adjusting the brightness setting via Skype, or dimming the overhead lights (if you can) may fix this.
The TouchCam N1 keeps the subject of the video capture very clear, but objects in the background often look a little grainy. The wide-angle lens puts much of your surroundings in the shot, but the graininess problem introduces some fuzziness there. Colors were impressive--vibrant and true to hue on the standard setting in natural light.
The webCam's dual microphones excel in picking up the speakers' voice. My chat partners never had trouble hearing me, and the TouchCam N1's wide design helps it pick up the sound of your voice if you ever need to move away from your monitor.
Despite a few problems with graininess, FaceVsion's TouchCam N1 is a great choice for an HD webcam--but only if you're loyal to Skype and are willing to pay a little extra. In comparison with a typical non-HD webcam, the TouchCam N1's clear video capture and embedded microphones shine. In view of its lack of extra features and effects, this model is ideal for business calls and for casual Skype users who don't require those extras.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPAgile Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Software Developer - Java/J2EE/Micro services URGENTOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Logistics and Supply ChainOther
- FTMarketing Executive - Digital, Direct and Customer MarketingOther
- FTBusiness analyst - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTAEM DeveloperOther
- TPChange Delivery Officer / PMOQLD
- FTSOE Architect - Gold CoastQLD
- CCTest Specialist - eCommerceVIC
- CCDatabase AdministratorQLD
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTTechnical Delivery ManagerNSW
- CCSenior DevOps ManagerVIC
- CCPeopleSoft Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTTransition/ Transformation ExecutiveVIC
- FTNetwork and Systems EngineerWA
- CCSAP Functional LeadNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Network Consultant / Junior ArchitectVIC
- FTMarketing and Advertising Project/Sales SupportOther
- FTTechnical Support - Level 1 - Minchinbury NSWOther
- CCData ArchitectQLD
- TPSAP ABAP DeveloperQLD