Facebook for iPhone 3.0
Apple has approved version 3.0 of the Facebook app for iPhone, and it is now available for download from the Apple iTunes App Store
- Support for events, news feed improved
- No push notifications
Overall, the Facebook for iPhone 3.0 app is a great update and brings the desktop version of the social-networking site closer to mobile users. In case you haven't done it already, we recommend you try the new app.
Facebook updated its popular iPhone app, delivering lots of improved features for the official iPhone Facebook 3.0 revision. But sadly, Facebook fails to deliver everything a mobile Facebook warrior could want.
The first thing you will notice in the Facebook 3.0 app is the redesigned home screen, which displays the main Facebook functions on a 3-by-3 grid. Unlike in the screenshots in the App store, the grid lines on the home screen are not present in the final version.
The app's main screen actually behaves like the iPhone's home screen. You can swipe left/right for another page where you can add news feeds of your friends and Facebook pages you administer. The icons in the grid can also be arranged, in the same way as with the iPhone home screen, by holding your finger on an icon until it starts shaking.
Facebook for iPhone 3.0 also adds support for events, and you can now see your upcoming events and RSVP. You can write and read notes from your friends and change your profile picture. The app also gives you complete control over your Facebook photos, so you can create/delete albums, delete photos and photo tags.
The news feed section sees many improvements in Facebook for iPhone 3.0 as well. You can now view the Facebook news feed on your iPhone just as you would on a desktop browser and "Like" statues, posts or photos.
Notifications will be displayed at the bottom of the home screen. A great feature is the addition of landscape viewing of the news feed and you can also visit links without leaving the app, via a built-in browser.
There are some needed features missing in Facebook for iPhone 3.0. Although you can upload videos from an iPhone 3GS, you can't view videos your friends have uploaded to Facebook. However, if someone posts a video from YouTube, you can watch in the built-in browser.
But one of the biggest shortcomings of the new Facebook 3.0 app for iPhone is the lack of push notifications. The only way to get notifications from your news feed when the Facebook app is closed is either to set up email alerts from within Facebook or the use SMS alerts.
The iPhone's e-mail client can fetch new messages only every 15 minutes and SMS alerts are not as widely available, so these two options can't really replace push notifications. However, we might see this feature arriving in a 3.1 update of the Facebook for iPhone app.
And lastly, it would be great if the next update of the Facebook for iPhone app could give the option to turn off the landscape viewing feature, as it can be quite annoying when using the app while lying down.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft apologizes after a rogue Windows 10 preview build causes chaos
- Skype's major redesign prioritizes helpful bots and a smart camera over traditional video chats
- All-electric satellites are ushering in zippier in-flight internet access
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTImplementation Consultant - SMSF SoftwareOther
- CCDeveloper - ASP.Net - Sencha Ext JSVIC
- FTContracts Admin/ Commercial Analyst- NSW Government backgroundOther
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystOther
- CCPMO AdministratorVIC
- FTVoice Solution Engineer - Telecommunications (Unified Comms)Other
- FTService Management Specialist (ServiceNow) - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTBusiness Project Manager- NSW GovernmentOther
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCSAP Hana DeveloperACT
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - RELOCATE TO CANBERRANSW
- FTSenior Siebel Developer - Canberra/MelbourneOther
- FTSAP Environment LeadQLD
- FTL1 Service Desk SupportWA
- FTService Delivery CoordinatorOther
- FTCommunications & Change AnalystOther
- FTApplication Security ArchitectOther
- CCDevOps Team LeaderNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - Data AnalyticsOther
- FTTeam Lead Enterprise Services & InfrastructureOther
- CCSAP Hana DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Full Stack DeveloperOther