Fabrik Ultimate Backup
- Easy to set up, offers unlimited restores
- Not integrated into local backup client
If you're not backing up off-site to guard against data disaster, you should be, and Fabrik is as good a way to do it as any, especially when it has 2GB for free.
Ultimate Backup is a super handy way to keep your files remotely backed up.
Shopping Fabrik's line of external hard drives, you might get the idea that Fabrik Ultimate Backup is an adjunct of those products, but it's actually a separate, exceedingly useful online backup service.
The pricing for Ultimate Backup is very similar to another such service -- Mozy.com -- which is not surprising, as they both use venerable Berkeley Data Systems' storage facilities. Like Mozy, Fabrik offers 2GB of online storage for free, or unlimited storage for just $US5 a month.
The Fabrik Ultimate Backup client sits in your system tray automatically backing up the files and folders you select, but it also gives you a number of thoughtful options. You can limit its usage of your broadband connection, set the program so that backups transpire only while your computer is at idle, and specify how much CPU time the client uses during backups. You can also schedule it to back up only during specified hours or at specified times.
Data may be retrieved by double-clicking the "Fabrik Ultimate Backup" icon that the program adds to "Other devices" in Windows Explorer, or by logging on to your account with your browser and using an online restore function. Fabrik also offers the same 128-bit SSL and 448-bit Blowfish encryption Mozy employs, and you can use Fabrik's self-generated key or one of your own (but don't lose it, or you can't restore).
My only quibble with Fabrik Ultimate Backup is a minor one -- it should be integrated into the company's Total Backup and Record local backup utility, which is bundled with its hard drives.
If you're not backing up off-site to guard against data disaster, you should be, and Fabrik is as good a way to do it as any. Did I mention that you get 2GB for free?
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTOracle Fusion Middleware AdministratorOther
- FTSystems Accountant / Production SupportOther
- TPInformatica SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior MS SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTChange Architect - technology and organisationalOther
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectVIC
- FTSQL Developer / Data AnalystOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTClient PrincipalACT
- FTSalesforce ArchitectNSW
- FTWeb DesignerOther
- FTGraduate Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCUnity 3D Developer (Mobile)NSW
- CCMulesoft Integration Software DeveloperQLD
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTMotion Graphics Designer / VideographerNSW
- FTPlatform DesignerOther
- FT.NET DeveloperOther
- TPPrincipal Solution Architect | CloudQLD
- FTScrum MasterOther
- TPDelivery ManagerACT
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTDatabase AdministratorNSW
- FT1st Level Technical SupportVIC