F-Secure Internet Security 2006
- Excellent at finding malware
- Poor at detecting adware, firewall works well at detecting threats but blocks internet access as well
F-Secure's suite provides thorough security protection in a clean interface with deep configuration options.
Price$ 80.20 (AUD)
F-Secure's Internet Security 2006 performed with flying colors in most of our malware detection tests, but it had problems removing many of those same troublesome files.
The suite has anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall protection, as well as anti-spam capabilities, parental controls, and root kit detection. It gives you lots of configuration options but doesn't always explain what they are. Additionally, I was initially confused by the fact that many options were grayed out, inaccessible until I chose the Custom Virus & Spy Protection setting.
The application, which uses the powerful Kaspersky anti-virus engine, is excellent at recognizing malware. It detected 98 percent of AV-Test.org's collection of less common malware, which includes Trojan horses, back doors, bots, and malicious spyware. It also received top marks in heuristics tests, and could detect malware within file archives and runtime compressed program files; of the ten security suites we looked at, F-Secure's was the only one to alert the user if it couldn't scan a particular password-protected archive. The product's malware warnings are easy to read, too. While they don't provide tons of information, what's offered is clearly written and actionable.
Some weaknesses: F-Secure Internet Security flagged the most false positives among the ten suites we tested, and it detected only 50 percent of the adware we threw at it, ranking second to last. In our speed tests at default settings, this package had the slowest on-demand scan, although it did not significantly impact applications running in our WorldBench 5 benchmark suite - a result that suggests F-Secure Internet Security won't slow you down during day-to-day computing activities. F-Secure says its real-time protection and five scan engines - two for viruses and one each for spyware, rootkits, and heuristics - account for the overall slow scan speed.
F-Secure Internet Security's firewall proved solid with easy-to-understand network activity warnings. In our tests it blocked both inside threats (already on the PC) and outside threats. When inside threats attempted to deactivate the firewall in memory or delete it from the hard drive, the firewall blocked the attack but also stopped all Internet (though not intranet) traffic - an inconvenience.
F-Secure's suite provides thorough security protection in a clean interface with deep configuration options. It doesn't always explain its offerings, though, and is therefore more appropriate for the user who doesn't need such help.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSolution Architect - DatacentreVIC
- CCProgram SupportVIC
- FTSystems EngineerVIC
- CCWCEM DeveloperACT
- TPMS Access/SQL DBAQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager | DETQLD
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - RELOCATE TO CANBERRANSW
- CCICT Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- CCPrincipal Project ManagerQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - SharePoint developerQLD
- FTImplementation Engineer - NetApp DATA ONTAPWA
- CCData Migration AnalystQLD
- FTProject Coordinator - Digital Applications (IT)NSW
- FTProject Manager - Data MigrationNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence DesignerNSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst/Project Manager | PermanentQLD
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTSalesforce Marketing ConsultantNSW
- TPTraining and Support Officer - Windows 10QLD
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractVIC
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelNSW