- Outstanding sound clarity and crispness, noise cancellation, eartips to suit most people, included case
- Cord too long and is easily tangled
Quite simply an excellent pair of earphones that provide outstanding sound clarity, the ER6i’s are a must have for any MP3 owner wishing to get the best out of their music player.
Price$ 239.00 (AUD)
Etymotic Research has long been associated with high-fidelity products, but in the ER6i they have produced a stunning consumer product that is a must have for those wishing to get the best out of their MP3 player.
Like all of Etymotic's products, the ER6i's are in-ear canal phones, which are designed to isolate outside noise in order to improve sound quality. The result is remarkable, with the ER6i's blocking out almost all outside noise during testing. In fact, the noise cancellation was so good that we had to remove our earphones when crossing the road because it was just too dangerous - extraordinary.
To achieve this noise cancellation, the ER6i's require insertion fairly deep into the ear canal. This may be uncomfortable for some and granted, it does take a while to get used to, but we were generally pleased with the comfort. We did experience a little soreness in the ear when using the earphones for longer than about two hours, but it is nothing that detracts from the overall package.
To help with comfort, Etymotic includes two different types of eartips in the ER6i sales package - foam eartips and rubber flange eartips. We much preferred the rubber flange eartips because they slid perfectly into our ear, but many people would prefer the foam option, as it can be pressed to fit into smaller ears. Because the earphones sit deep in the canal, wax builds up quickly so Etymotic recommend rinsing them in warm water regularly. The eartips are easily removed to do this - just twist and slide off.
The ER6i's use tiny filters in each earphone which prevents wax from getting into the sound components. After a period of time, the filters will become clogged and will need to be replaced - but thankfully Etymotic have provided replacement filters and a small screwdriver-like tool to do so. The process is simple - insert the tool into the filter and remove. It's a bizarre practice, but one that helps extend the life-time of the ER6i's and thus gets the thumbs up in our books.
The sound quality of the ER6i's can be described in one word - amazing. We were blown away by the crisp, clear quality and clarity that the earphones produce. Combined with the noise isolation features, we heard music tones and features that we've never heard before, such as underlying bass riffs. The treble was excellent and while the bass reproduction wasn't the best we've heard, it is more than adequate provided you've got the tips inserted deep enough into your ear. We tested the ER6i's with an iPod nano and they responded extremely well to equalisation settings, such as Bass Boost.
So what's wrong with the ER6i's? Well, not much at all to be honest. The only gripe we had with the earphones was the cord - it is too long, tangles easily and doesn't look like something you'd associate with a high quality product like this one. However in saying this, it is a minor issue and one that you will forget about when you listen to the earphones for the first time. To round out the package, the ER6i's include a handy pouch to store the earphones whilst not in use.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 3 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 4 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Upgrade Q35 for Google Assistant
- Jabra Evolve 75e brings earbud design, Active NC and ‘busylight’ to the workplace
- Jaybird go true wireless with new RUN earbuds
- HyperX Reveals Next Generation Cloud Alpha Gaming Headset
- Jabra upgrade their Elite Sport wireless earbuds
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Moto E4:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- TPAudio Visual Project ManagerNSW
- FTWindows Rollout / Desktop Support AnalystOther
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperQLD
- TPProject Manager/Business Analyst - HPWQLD
- FTSenior Security ConsultantNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst / Change AnalystQLD
- CCCerner Senior Applications Specialist - Brisbane basedNSW
- CCCitrix SpecialistVIC
- FTMobile Applications DeveloperACT
- CCDatabase AnalystNSW
- CCInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- CCSupport Engineer - Linux, AIX & SolarisNSW
- FTOracle WebLogic Administrator- Banking backgroundOther
- FTSystem EngineerOther
- FTProject Support Officer (Part Time)SA
- FTApplication Service Delivery ManagerNSW
- CCLevel 2-3 Desktop SupportWA
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- TPTechnology Training and Service Desk AnalystVIC
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Sydney BasedNSW
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther