- Outstanding sound clarity and crispness, noise cancellation, eartips to suit most people, included case
- Cord too long and is easily tangled
Quite simply an excellent pair of earphones that provide outstanding sound clarity, the ER6i’s are a must have for any MP3 owner wishing to get the best out of their music player.
Price$ 239.00 (AUD)
Etymotic Research has long been associated with high-fidelity products, but in the ER6i they have produced a stunning consumer product that is a must have for those wishing to get the best out of their MP3 player.
Like all of Etymotic's products, the ER6i's are in-ear canal phones, which are designed to isolate outside noise in order to improve sound quality. The result is remarkable, with the ER6i's blocking out almost all outside noise during testing. In fact, the noise cancellation was so good that we had to remove our earphones when crossing the road because it was just too dangerous - extraordinary.
To achieve this noise cancellation, the ER6i's require insertion fairly deep into the ear canal. This may be uncomfortable for some and granted, it does take a while to get used to, but we were generally pleased with the comfort. We did experience a little soreness in the ear when using the earphones for longer than about two hours, but it is nothing that detracts from the overall package.
To help with comfort, Etymotic includes two different types of eartips in the ER6i sales package - foam eartips and rubber flange eartips. We much preferred the rubber flange eartips because they slid perfectly into our ear, but many people would prefer the foam option, as it can be pressed to fit into smaller ears. Because the earphones sit deep in the canal, wax builds up quickly so Etymotic recommend rinsing them in warm water regularly. The eartips are easily removed to do this - just twist and slide off.
The ER6i's use tiny filters in each earphone which prevents wax from getting into the sound components. After a period of time, the filters will become clogged and will need to be replaced - but thankfully Etymotic have provided replacement filters and a small screwdriver-like tool to do so. The process is simple - insert the tool into the filter and remove. It's a bizarre practice, but one that helps extend the life-time of the ER6i's and thus gets the thumbs up in our books.
The sound quality of the ER6i's can be described in one word - amazing. We were blown away by the crisp, clear quality and clarity that the earphones produce. Combined with the noise isolation features, we heard music tones and features that we've never heard before, such as underlying bass riffs. The treble was excellent and while the bass reproduction wasn't the best we've heard, it is more than adequate provided you've got the tips inserted deep enough into your ear. We tested the ER6i's with an iPod nano and they responded extremely well to equalisation settings, such as Bass Boost.
So what's wrong with the ER6i's? Well, not much at all to be honest. The only gripe we had with the earphones was the cord - it is too long, tangles easily and doesn't look like something you'd associate with a high quality product like this one. However in saying this, it is a minor issue and one that you will forget about when you listen to the earphones for the first time. To round out the package, the ER6i's include a handy pouch to store the earphones whilst not in use.
Join the newsletter!
Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Google finally bring the Pixel Buds to Australia
- Bose announce local availability and pricing for SoundSport Free true wireless earbuds
- Jabra confirm ANZ pricing and availability for Evolve 75e headphones
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By HyperX
- CES 2018: HyperX announces Wireless Cloud Flight Headset and RGB range
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCLevel 1 / 2 Desktop Support - BrisbaneVIC
- TPProject Manager - Senior Application Specialist - HealthcareQLD
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- FTProject ManagerSA
- FTSenior Pega Developer (Pega Senior Systems Architect)Other
- FTTraining & Communications SpecialistOther
- TPSAP Project ManagerQLD
- CCContinuous Improvement and Change Specialist (Black Belt) - Contract - Nth SydNSW
- FTDBA / Database Administrator / Data Migration AnalystOther
- CCHadoop DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTIntegration DeveloperOther
- CCDynamic CRM DeveloperQLD
- CCJava Full Stack DeveloperVIC
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCCisco Engineer - Perth basedSA
- FTService Desk - Team Leader (Night Shift)Other
- CCKnowledge Analyst (Digital Content)NSW
- FTSenior Full Stack DeveloperACT
- CCLead Developer - BrisbaneNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst (Insurance Projects)NSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- CCPortfolio / Project Coordinator - BrisbaneVIC