Epson Stylus Pro 3800
- Excellent quality prints, outstanding speed on almost any media type
- The need to swap cartridges when you switch between matte and photo black inks wastes at least 2ml of ink in the process due to ink "flushing"
If you are a professional photographer or serious amateur looking to reproduce your work at large sizes and with extremely high quality, the Epson Stylus Pro 3800 Standard Model is a great printer. You get speed, quality, and efficiency at a good price, even when you factor in the swapping of the matte and photo black inks. While some people will view the printer's primary flaw as a fatal one, it's hard to argue with the end result: large, beautiful prints on almost any media type.
Price$ 2,195.00 (AUD)
Dealing with ink
One problem with some of Epson's printers is that they require you to swap cartridges when you switch between matte and photo black inks. This process is clumsy and wastes a lot of valuable ink, and it can set off a cascade effect that drains other ink cartridges in the process. The Epson Stylus Pro 3800 is better in this regard, offering separate slots for each black ink type. When you choose a paper type in the print driver, the printer automatically chooses the appropriate black ink type.
Unfortunately, the black inks share a single channel to the printhead, which means that the printer still must purge that line of ink before switching. This two- to three-minute process wastes approximately 2ml of ink when swapping from photo to matte black, and 4.5ml when going the other way. While this is better than the R2400, both HP's Photosmart Pro B9180 and Canon's Pixma Pro9500 use separate ink lines for matte and photo black inks, a much less wasteful approach.
Fortunately the Epson Stylus Pro 3800 does an excellent job with ink efficiency. We printed almost 400 photos -- mostly 8x10in and larger -- before we had to replace any ink cartridge, and we went back and forth between black ink types during the testing. Because of this, the cost per page will be much less with the Epson Stylus Pro 3800 than it will be with any comparable large-format photo printer, which really turns into savings if you print a lot of photos.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTest Analyst / Engineer (Cloud / O365 migration)Other
- CCJunior / Mid level Hogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneQLD
- CCSAP HR / Payroll AnalystVIC
- FTTeam LeaderVIC
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantVIC
- CCSystems AnalystACT
- FTBusiness Systems Analyst - HR SystemsOther
- TPDeployment Analyst - Office 2016 rolloutVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- CCMiddleware SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- FTData AnalystOther
- TPBusiness Analyst | Utilities | Multiple PositionsQLD
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperQLD
- CCSAP CRM Functional Consultants - Multiple rolesVIC
- CCSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- FTCampaign AnalystOther
- CCICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTCommunications Manager- Organisational Change ManagementOther
- CCInfrastructure SMENSW
- FTSOE Systems EngineerOther