- Printed photos look great, menu navigation is easy
- Prints slower than competitors
If it's compatible with your camera, the PictureMate is a good choice for affordable, top-quality snapshots.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The Epson PictureMate's design suggests portability and recreation: it has a handle and looks like a small silver-and-black boombox. Despite its size and portability, the PictureMate doesn't run on batteries, though you can buy an optional car adapter. It prints only on 4" x 6" paper, but you can have it make two wallet-size prints on one sheet.
We found the PictureMate a pleasure to use. It has a USB 1.1 port, which can support a direct link to a supported camera, an external CD writer, or a Bluetooth module. The printer also supports PictBridge and has slots for most common memory cards.
Navigating on-board menus with the four-way toggle button was easy. The menus let you print a proof sheet, pick images by number (the LCD doesn't display images), and print multiple pictures on the same sheet. You can convert prints to black-and-white or sepia-tone, and you can apply various cropping templates. The Save Photo button lets you write images from your memory card to a disc loaded in an external CD burner.
The LCD isn't backlit and suffers from distracting reflections, which can complicate reading the menus.
Many dedicated snapshot printers use dye-sublimation technology, but the PictureMate is an inkjet, with a six-ink cartridge that includes Epson's new red and blue inks. The flat, wide cartridge slides into the back of the printer. Epson provides a 20-sheet pack of paper and an ink cartridge with the printer; 100-sheet replacement packs include ink and cost $29, or 29 cents per print.
The PictureMate took two minutes and 22 seconds to print a photo from a PC--noticeably longer than other snapshot printers we have tested. But the output was worth waiting for: colours in the photo looked bright and luminous, detail popped out in sharp focus, and highlights and shadows looked natural.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FT.Net Developers (.Net / C# / Visual Studio)ACT
- FTSenior Data AnalystOther
- CCUser Experience DesignerACT
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- CCSAP CRM Functional Consultants - Multiple rolesACT
- CCProject SchedulerWA
- FTService Desktop TechnicianOther
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst & Project ManagerOther
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- CCDigital Project ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- TPProject Manager | Digital Health ProgramQLD
- FTCampaign ManagerOther
- CCDesktop Support Analyst / EngineerNSW
- CCSharepoint DeveloperWA
- FTJunior .NET DeveloperOther
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation)NSW
- CCSystems Engineers / Infrastructure EngineersNSW
- CCIT Portfolio Management AnalystWA
- FTiOS DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Office 365 ProjectOther
- FTService Desk Technical LeadOther