- Outstanding image quality, truly dark shades of black, runs at 720p natively
- A little dark to use in a bright room, limited range of adjustments
Epson's home-theatre oriented EMP-TW500 projector runs at 720p in a 16:9 aspect ratio and offers outstanding image quality for watching DVDs in a home theatre environment.
Price$ 6,999.00 (AUD)
Epson's impressive EMP-TW500 unit runs at a native resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels at a 16:9 aspect ratio, making it perfect for playing back 720p content without having to scale the image. As a result, any footage at this resolution looks fantastic, and it's tailor-made for watching widescreen content.
Component, S-Video, composite, and HDMI inputs are all on offer, with the latter providing the best quality image. It's also possible to connect the 6.5kg projector to a PC with the supplied USB cable and upload colour profiles directly. Epson has designed the 45 x 35 x 12cm unit for a home theatre environment and it remained whisper-quiet during operation.
This projector is obviously meant to stay in a single location and not travel. There's a limited range of tilt adjustment (2.5 degrees), and 30 degrees of vertical keystone correction, but you can't tweak the image horizontally.
Home theatre projectors don't tend to be as bright as their boardroom counterparts, mainly because they don't have to overcome bright fluorescent lights to produce an image on a screen or wall. Home theatre is generally watched in a darkened room and too much brightness can cause eyestrain and wash out dark shades.
The Epson machine features two brightness modes: a high brightness setting of around 1000 ANSI lumens for dynamic and living room modes, and the low brightness setting of 300 ANSI lumens (in the Theatre Black colour mode). The latter requires a room to be almost completely dark, but it produces outstanding image quality complete with rich colours and a true shade of black at its darkest. The device includes a Faroudja DCDiTM video processor, which enhances both clarity and colour. Epson has even bundled a backlit remote control to ensure you can still control the device in dark environment. Brightness, contrast, tint and saturation are all adjustable via either the controls on the projector itself or the remote control.
An integrated monophonic speaker is included; however, it's too small to provide much grunt for watching TV or movies: you're much better off relying on a decent home theatre system. The device itself is ceiling-mountable and ships with a two-year warranty as standard.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSenior Software Developer (x3)WA
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst - Microsoft BI Stack - NewcastleNSW
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCPega DeveloperVIC
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager (Office 365) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTDealing Room Support Analyst - IPC voiceNSW
- CCOracle CCB DesignerVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 2 SupportQLD
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCSQL Analyst DeveloperNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Configuration Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTQlikview Developer | Contract 6-12mthVIC
- FTAutomation Anywhere/Robotics EngineerQLD
- FTIT Systems Specialists - Collaboration SystemsNSW
- CCProject Manager Information ManagementQLD
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksNSW
- FTProject Manager HFC Capacity ManagementVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- TPMobile Application DeveloperVIC