- Outstanding image quality, truly dark shades of black, runs at 720p natively
- A little dark to use in a bright room, limited range of adjustments
Epson's home-theatre oriented EMP-TW500 projector runs at 720p in a 16:9 aspect ratio and offers outstanding image quality for watching DVDs in a home theatre environment.
Price$ 6,999.00 (AUD)
Epson's impressive EMP-TW500 unit runs at a native resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels at a 16:9 aspect ratio, making it perfect for playing back 720p content without having to scale the image. As a result, any footage at this resolution looks fantastic, and it's tailor-made for watching widescreen content.
Component, S-Video, composite, and HDMI inputs are all on offer, with the latter providing the best quality image. It's also possible to connect the 6.5kg projector to a PC with the supplied USB cable and upload colour profiles directly. Epson has designed the 45 x 35 x 12cm unit for a home theatre environment and it remained whisper-quiet during operation.
This projector is obviously meant to stay in a single location and not travel. There's a limited range of tilt adjustment (2.5 degrees), and 30 degrees of vertical keystone correction, but you can't tweak the image horizontally.
Home theatre projectors don't tend to be as bright as their boardroom counterparts, mainly because they don't have to overcome bright fluorescent lights to produce an image on a screen or wall. Home theatre is generally watched in a darkened room and too much brightness can cause eyestrain and wash out dark shades.
The Epson machine features two brightness modes: a high brightness setting of around 1000 ANSI lumens for dynamic and living room modes, and the low brightness setting of 300 ANSI lumens (in the Theatre Black colour mode). The latter requires a room to be almost completely dark, but it produces outstanding image quality complete with rich colours and a true shade of black at its darkest. The device includes a Faroudja DCDiTM video processor, which enhances both clarity and colour. Epson has even bundled a backlit remote control to ensure you can still control the device in dark environment. Brightness, contrast, tint and saturation are all adjustable via either the controls on the projector itself or the remote control.
An integrated monophonic speaker is included; however, it's too small to provide much grunt for watching TV or movies: you're much better off relying on a decent home theatre system. The device itself is ceiling-mountable and ships with a two-year warranty as standard.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCUnix System AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- TPSecurity AnalystQLD
- CCControl Systems SpecialistACT
- CCIseries Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst-GenesysNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantNSW
- FTAutomation DeveloperOther
- TPProject OfficerVIC
- CCSenior MySQL Database AdministratorNSW
- FTOracle Financial Functional Oracle FinancialNSW
- FTApplication Support Engineer - Trading/FinanceOther
- FTSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- TPSenior Test AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Wintel Systems EngineerOther
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- TPProject OfficerACT
- FTApplication Support ConsultantVIC
- CCTransition Manger - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- FTClinical IT Support Consultant - Medication Management - Permanent - North RydeNSW
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst / Application SupportOther
- FTProduct Support ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCServiceNow ConsultantVIC