A 1080p home theatre projector with great black levels and 100Hz technology.
- DeepBlack system works well and dynamic contrast is fast, 100Hz system smoothes out motion significantly
- 100Hz technology introduces occasional artefacts
We like the Epson EH-TW5000. It has a few niggling problems but overall its output is of a very high standard.
Price$ 5,299.00 (AUD)
Epson’s EH-TW5000 is a 1080p home theatre projector that offers high quality imagery. Its 100Hz frame-doubling mode smoothes jerky motion and its dynamic contrast setting is one of the best we have seen on a projector. A few flaws stop it from being brilliant, but overall it is a great contender for fulfilling your home theatre needs.
The Epson EH-TW5000 is a 3LCD projector built on the same chassis as earlier Epson home theatre models. It is large and heavy, but it is easily mountable and its dark colour scheme means it will blend in with the black ceiling of a dedicated home theatre room. A 2.1x zoom lens and vertical and horizontal lens shift mean installation in imperfect conditions is easy.
The EH-TW5000 projector has great specifications, with a compelling combination of 1600 ANSI lumens and a dynamic contrast ratio of 75,000:1. Usually with a home theatre projector brightness is sacrificed in favour of high contrast, but the EH-TW5000 has brightness levels significantly higher than expected. It is versatile enough that it does not need a pitch-black room to excel — which is a bonus if you do not have a dedicated light-proof home cinema.
One welcome innovation is the addition of Epson’s FineFrame technology. Like the Frame Creation mode on Panasonic’s competing PT-AE3000E home theatre projector, FineFrame interpolates frames to smooth out fast motion and panning video effects. We found this useful for action movies with fast zoom and pan effects, but in static frames with a single small moving object there were some artefacts and distortion. By and large the frame-doubling mode did improve picture smoothness. Try before you buy though, since a fluid picture on such a large screen may not be what you want.
Deep black levels and high contrast are undoubtedly the greatest selling points of the EH-TW5000. The static contrast ratio is a competitive 6000:1 thanks to a streamlined optics system, but enabling the dynamic contrast ratio bumps this up to a sensational 75,000:1. The auto-iris system is fast; we are generally not fans of dynamic contrast on projectors due to slow contrast transitions but in this case we found it unnoticeable when activated.
With dynamic contrast and FineFrame activated, the picture projected by the Epson EH-TW5000 was exemplary. Black levels were great, and plenty of detail was visible in both bright and shadowy areas of the screen. A wide colour gamut allowed the full spread of colours to be displayed when we played our Blu-ray test discs, with minute gradations of colour easily visible.
The price of the Epson EH-TW5000 is lower than we expected — it's similar in price to the Mitsubishi Electric HC7000 and Viewsonic Precision Pro8100 despite its specs being comparable to the Panasonic PT-AE300E. This combined with the high quality imagery and functionality makes it a great choice if you are looking for a high-end home theatre projector.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Agile Software Business AnalystOther
- FTNetwork ArchitectACT
- TPService Delivery ManagerACT
- FTTableau Application Support SpecialistOther
- CCSenior Technical Business AnalystNSW
- FTInfrastructure Design Engineer, DC Power, CommunicationsOther
- TPBusiness Process Improvement AnalystNSW
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTSnr Information Security Consultant - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Cloud InfrastructureQLD
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- CC.net DeveloperNSW
- FTField ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Test AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical Digital ProducerOther
- CCDevOps Engineer - AWS, Jenkins, GitVIC
- FTUnix/Linux EngineersOther
- CCDesktop Support TechnicianOther
- CCReporting AnalystNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTData AnalystOther