Watch online videos at your own pace with MySpeed
- Simple to use
- Not cheap
For those who need to transcribe from online video, MySpeed may well be worth a shot
Price$ 29.99 (AUD)
Note: pricing for this product is in US$.
Online video sites such as YouTube have one primary drawback: You can't speed up or slow down the videos, as you normally can with a DVD player. That means that if there are ads in the videos, you have to sit through them. And if you need to slow down the video--say for transcribing the audio--you're out of luck. That's where MySpeed comes in. It lets you speed up video by up to five times, and slow down playback all the way down to 30 percent of the original speed. That way, you can zip through ads, and slow down people's speech to hear it more clearly.
Using MySpeed is simplicity itself. Start the program and then visit a video site. When you want to change the speed with which the video plays, just move the slider to the proper speed. That's all it takes.
Keep in mind, though, that the sound gets sped up or slowed down to match the speed of the video. At very high speeds the sound may suffer from the "chipmunk effect," and at very low speeds it may suffers from a monster-voice effect. MySpeed's developer says steps have been taken to minimize those effects, but they're still noticeable. Transcibers should note that slowing down the speed moderately distorts the voice only slightly, so that it's still suitable for transcriptions. Slow it down too much, though, and the voice is hard to understand.
MySpeed works only with sites that use Flash for video play. YouTube and most other video sites use Flash, but there is a chance that it won't work with every site you come across.
The only serious drawback to this program is its price. At US$30, it doesn't come cheap. It may not be worthwhile to pay for it if all you want to do is get through ads quickly. But for those who need to transcribe from online video, MySpeed may well be worth a shot.
Note that there are two versions of this program: MySpeed at $30, and MySpeed Premier at $100. The Premier version does everything the standard version does, and also allows you to save videos and view them offline.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Monster Hunter World review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTService Desk - Team Leader (Night Shift)Other
- CCSolution ArchitectWA
- CCTechnology Lead - TelcoVIC
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Wealth & Fund Management ApplicationsOther
- FTTechnical Solutions Consultants- ServiceNowNSW
- FTNetwork Services ManagerOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Product MigrationOther
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- CCSCCM Application PackagerQLD
- FTSQL DeveloperOther
- CCAutomation TesterNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence DeveloperQLD
- CCFull Stack Mobile/Java DeveloperVIC
- FTIntegration DeveloperOther
- CCReporting AnalystNSW
- FTTechnology StrategistNSW
- CCAndroid Developer - SeniorVIC
- FTAutomation Developer - RPAQLD
- FTSolution Architect - MDMOther
- FTLead Business Analyst - Senior Digital ConsultantACT
- FTGraduate Data Scientist/ Data AnalystWA
- CCProject ManagersVIC
- FTSupply Chain or Logistic IT Business Analysts - MULTIPLE ROLESOther
- FTMonitoring Specialist - NagiosOther