Watch online videos at your own pace with MySpeed
- Simple to use
- Not cheap
For those who need to transcribe from online video, MySpeed may well be worth a shot
Price$ 29.99 (AUD)
Note: pricing for this product is in US$.
Online video sites such as YouTube have one primary drawback: You can't speed up or slow down the videos, as you normally can with a DVD player. That means that if there are ads in the videos, you have to sit through them. And if you need to slow down the video--say for transcribing the audio--you're out of luck. That's where MySpeed comes in. It lets you speed up video by up to five times, and slow down playback all the way down to 30 percent of the original speed. That way, you can zip through ads, and slow down people's speech to hear it more clearly.
Using MySpeed is simplicity itself. Start the program and then visit a video site. When you want to change the speed with which the video plays, just move the slider to the proper speed. That's all it takes.
Keep in mind, though, that the sound gets sped up or slowed down to match the speed of the video. At very high speeds the sound may suffer from the "chipmunk effect," and at very low speeds it may suffers from a monster-voice effect. MySpeed's developer says steps have been taken to minimize those effects, but they're still noticeable. Transcibers should note that slowing down the speed moderately distorts the voice only slightly, so that it's still suitable for transcriptions. Slow it down too much, though, and the voice is hard to understand.
MySpeed works only with sites that use Flash for video play. YouTube and most other video sites use Flash, but there is a chance that it won't work with every site you come across.
The only serious drawback to this program is its price. At US$30, it doesn't come cheap. It may not be worthwhile to pay for it if all you want to do is get through ads quickly. But for those who need to transcribe from online video, MySpeed may well be worth a shot.
Note that there are two versions of this program: MySpeed at $30, and MySpeed Premier at $100. The Premier version does everything the standard version does, and also allows you to save videos and view them offline.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCBusiness Improvement Specialist (Six Sigma Green belt) - Contract - North SydneyNSW
- CCAutomation Anywhere developerQLD
- FTBackend Java DevelopersNSW
- FTSenior Test AnalystACT
- CCProperty Project Manager - Office ExpansionNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Digital AdviceOther
- FTSolution DesignerOther
- FTEngineer - Unix/LinuxOther
- FTPython and Java DeveloperOther
- TPProject Manager - IaaSQLD
- FTSystems Engineer - Identity & AutomationQLD
- FTSenior DevOps LeadVIC
- CCExstream DeveloperNSW
- FT.Net Full-stack DeveloperOther
- CCAutomation Test ManagerVIC
- FTScrum MasterSA
- FTBusiness Project ManagerOther
- FTMicrofocus Cobol DeveloperOther
- FTSecurity DevOps EngineerOther
- FTAgile Business AnalystOther
- CCJava LeadNSW
- CCWintel EngineerQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - TableauOther
- FTApplication Support ConsultantVIC
- TPTest Automation EngineerQLD