engin SoftPhone Starter Pack
- Call Rates, RRP, Package on a whole
- 2 hours offer doesn't apply to all countries, Softphone interface could be improved
Including a headset and two hours free talk time, the Engin Softphone Starter pack is a good buy with only a few minor issues.
Price$ 9.95 (AUD)
Engin are a broadband phone company who specialise in VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) and their Softphone Starter Pack is a great, low cost way for consumers to get a taste of this new technology.
The Engin Softphone Starter pack includes up to two hours of free talk-time at an international rate of 3.5 cents per minute for the UK, Canada, USA, China, Hong Kong and New Zealand. You are still able to call anywhere in the world at different rates available from the Engin website . For example, calling Italy is charged at four cents per minute instead of 3.5. We still think these prices are very competitive and you do get pretty good value for money.
In terms of domestic rates, Engin's service is equally competitive; a flat rate of 10c for standard local and national calls, with mobiles slightly more expensive at 27 cents per minute. Furthermore, calls between Engin numbers are entirely free. For those who call you, the rates are the same as standard landline calls - local area and long distance.
The Softphone Starter Pack includes a single earpiece with inbuilt microphone, a CD containing the eyeBeam software and a card with your unique service key. The Starter Pack is incredible easy to set up; simply register an Engin account, install the Softphone application and plug in your earpiece and microphone. Once your registration is complete, Engin supply you with a unique phone number, just like a normal landline. If your computer is on and your broadband connection running, this number can be dialed as you would a normal telephone and you simply use the software to answer the call. The fact that you get a phone number for incoming calls is a big plus for the Engin service.
The Engin eyeBeam software is fairly easy to use, although the interface is not as intuitive as we would have liked. In particular the buttons are very close to each other so if you are using a mouse, it may become a slow process. There are mute and speakerphone functions as well as six speed dial spaces where you can store frequently dialed numbers. Conveniently, there are speaker and microphone volume controls beside the keypad, so it's easy to adjust volume levels during calls.
With these types of packages, it all comes down to quality of service and we were pleased to report that we had no major concerns with Engin in this regard. It is important to note though, that quality of service does depend on a number of variables. In our experience calls were clear, loud and for most part our friends thought we were calling them on a standard landline telephone. Our only issue is with the included headset. Although we didn't expect much considering the Starter Pack costs less than $10, its quality is fairly poor. Its good enough to give you a taste of this technology, but we recommend a VoIP headset for optimum performance. At this price though we can't really complain.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Goodbye Google Now, hello new feed that obsessively track your interests
- How to deal with “Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC” error
- Net Neutrality: The July 12 Internet-Wide Day of Action protest and what to expect
- Google Assistant: 5 killer new features you should be using
- Microsoft apologizes after a rogue Windows 10 preview build causes chaos
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ford Everest Trend RWD 3.2L Diesel review
- Ford Everest Trend in its natural habitat
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTAutomation TesterVIC
- FTSenior Systems EngineerOther
- CCVMware AdministratorNSW
- CCData Visualisation SpecialistNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Workplace Assessment & InfrastructureQLD
- FTChange AnalystOther
- FTApplication Security ArchitectOther
- TPSharepoint DeveloperNSW
- CCApplications Software EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Process Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior DevOps Consultant, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTPMO - Business Process ConsultantOther
- FTSenior HFC EngineerNSW
- FTRiggers - Telecommunications ProjectsNSW
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistOther
- FTBizTalk Technical LeadQLD
- FTCitrix Engineer | 6 month contractOther
- TPSolution Architect - NetworkQLD
- FTChief Information OfficerACT
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Configuration Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTFront End Developer (Mid-Level)Other
- TPProject Manager - ApplicationsQLD