Eleco Visualisation Software Arcon 3D Architect
- Affordable, easy to use
- SketchUp is free
While not an outright replacement for AutoCAD or VectorWorks, Arcon's 3D Architect package is very user-friendly, allowing the beginner and casual-user to articulate standard aspects of architectural concepts, with useful construction templates included. The only slight blot on the horizon is Google's free SketchUp, available to visualise 3D architectural designs. However, 3D Architect is more sophisticated, and represents better value for the beginner and casual-user, than the payment-required SketchUp Pro and obviously, AutoCAD or VectorWorks.
Arcon 3D Architect is an affordable alternative to the big boys of CAD software.
Computer-aided design (CAD) packages can be rather daunting for the beginner or casual user: prime examples being AutoCAD and VectorWorks; however, the new Arcon 3D Architect is considerably cheaper and comes with a simple, intuitive user-interface.
Arcon 3D Architect is clearly no substitute for the full AutoCAD/VectorWorks 'precision-engineering' experience, and as such it probably won't find itself installed in the offices of large architectural practices.
This notwithstanding, the Arcon 3D Architect software is excellent for a more robust method of visualising the mechanics of standard building construction (e.g., pitched-roof houses) and it comes loaded with a host of templates for walls, ceilings and roofs.
Thus, Arcon 3D Architect is ideal for most speculative designs up to planning application, and is particularly useful for anyone wishing to visualise three-dimensionally what newly designed interior and/or exterior spaces can do. Master-planning for larger developments like blocks of flats or housing-estates, can also be performed.
Landscaping isn't forgotten either as it is a very important phase to the journey, arrival and exit contextualisation for 3D visualisations.
The quintessential aspects of architecture are all covered very well – you can user-define scale, imperial/metric, line-thickness, as well as orientating drawings correctly north. Particularly useful are the A3/A4 paper templates which cover most beginners' home/office based printing needs. For larger printing, exporting is possible via DXF files to A0 & A1 plotters, while AutoCAD .DWG (and .DXF) files can be imported, which aids functionality. Other file formats include, BMP, JPG, WMF, EMF, 2D DXF, 3DS (3D Studio) and MBA (Creative Lines). The 3D Architect package is well-organised with excellent, easy-to-use instructions via 'Getting Started,' '3D Architect Revealed' and 'Reference Guide' manuals.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Miofive 4K Dash Cam review: This friendly road watcher is ‘here for you!’
- 2 Dell U3223QE review: A winning debut for an IPS Black monitor
- 3 Asus TUF Gaming VG28UQL1A review: This 4K monitor plays nice with consoles
- 4 Firewalla Gold review: Powerful home network security in a tiny box
- 5 Asus ROG Zephyrus S17 review: This gaming laptop oozes luxurious power
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft’s universal ‘One Outlook’ client just leaked out
- Microsoft reveals a new Windows Game Bar built for controllers
- Microsoft tests a limited VPN for Microsoft Edge
- Audacity developer puts the ‘proper’ version on the Microsoft Store
- How to pin an extension to Chrome’s toolbar
PCW Evaluation Team
Set up is effortless.
The strength of the Aruba Instant On AP11D is that the design and feature set support the modern, flexible, and mobile way of working.
Aruba backs the AP11D up with a two-year warranty and 24/7 phone support.
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
- 100 Great PC Games You Should Play Before You Die
- Best Click Frenzy mobile and Internet plan deals
- Microsoft’s iconic browser Internet Explorer is being killed off in June
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies