FlexScan S2242W LCD monitor
In essence Eizo has shoehorned a 24in monitor into a 22in shell
- 1920x1200 resolution, price
- Pixel density can make it less ergonomic to use than larger monitors
To create the Eizo FlexScan S2242W, Eizo has trimmed one of its superlative monitors to nearly the bare minimum — but the core product is good, and offers good value for money if you need outstanding image quality.
With everyone watching their budget at the moment, including creative professionals who need a high-quality screen, the arrival of the Eizo FlexScan S2242W is timely.
In essence Eizo has shoehorned a 24in monitor into a 22in shell, allowing the company to add a relatively reasonable price. Eizo says that it can also save you up to 10 percent of desk space — but price is the main reason to purchase the Eizo FlexScan S2242W.
The Eizo FlexScan S2242W monitor has the same 1920x1200 resolution as 24in and larger displays, so the S2242W's pixels are closer together. This makes can make it less ergonomic to use, as you have to sit closer to it than you do to a larger display.
The Eizo FlexScan S2242W looks almost cheap next to monitors such as NEC's MultiSync LCD2690WUXi2 — there's a lack of finesse to its design. A line of buttons along the lower part of its bezel is initially mysterious, presenting a jumble of letters and numbers whose purpose isn't immediately apparent. But once you get into the menu system, there are far more controls than you'd expect on a £400 monitor — including gamma, gain and colour temperature presets from 4000K to 10,000K.
The menu system allows you to turn on the Eizo FlexScan S2242W's Auto EcoView feature, which uses a light sensor to adjust brightness to the optimum for the lighting at your desk. This is designed more to save energy than keep your display's colours accurate, as raising or lowering the brightness can throw out any calibration you've applied.
We created a profile for the monitor using a DataColor Spyder3Elite calibrator and brought the resulting ICM file into Chromix ColorThink to inspect it. We saw quite a change between the provided profile and our calibration — though this was mainly a drop in brightness rather than a huge colour shift. Our tests showed that the Eizo FlexScan S2242W's gamut was expansive considering the price, though not as good as the dearer NEC's.
The Eizo FlexScan S2242W has only one DVI input — if you have a second computer for production or rendering or other tasks than doesn't require a sharp picture, there's a VGA port as well.
Eizo has bundled a bare minimum of software with the Eizo FlexScan S2242W and we even had to download the standard colour profile from the Eizo Web site. There are a couple of Windows-only tools, however, that replicate the monitor's OSD.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCControl Systems SpecialistACT
- FTResident EngineerOther
- FTSenior SAS DeveloperOther
- CCSenior System EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther
- CCLinux Platform/Development SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCJava Developer - BrisbaneSA
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCJava LeadVIC
- FTSenior SAP Business Analyst (Business Intelligence & Data Management)NSW
- CCAutomation Test AnalystNSW
- TPLevel 1 Helpdesk Support OfficerQLD
- CCReact.js DeveloperQLD
- CCTechnical Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- CCTableau DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- CCDynamics CRM Functional Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- CCSenior Data governance consultantVIC
- FTProject Manager - Develop Strategy. Need RISI card, Rail bckgrdOther