FlexScan S2242W LCD monitor
In essence Eizo has shoehorned a 24in monitor into a 22in shell
- 1920x1200 resolution, price
- Pixel density can make it less ergonomic to use than larger monitors
To create the Eizo FlexScan S2242W, Eizo has trimmed one of its superlative monitors to nearly the bare minimum — but the core product is good, and offers good value for money if you need outstanding image quality.
With everyone watching their budget at the moment, including creative professionals who need a high-quality screen, the arrival of the Eizo FlexScan S2242W is timely.
In essence Eizo has shoehorned a 24in monitor into a 22in shell, allowing the company to add a relatively reasonable price. Eizo says that it can also save you up to 10 percent of desk space — but price is the main reason to purchase the Eizo FlexScan S2242W.
The Eizo FlexScan S2242W monitor has the same 1920x1200 resolution as 24in and larger displays, so the S2242W's pixels are closer together. This makes can make it less ergonomic to use, as you have to sit closer to it than you do to a larger display.
The Eizo FlexScan S2242W looks almost cheap next to monitors such as NEC's MultiSync LCD2690WUXi2 — there's a lack of finesse to its design. A line of buttons along the lower part of its bezel is initially mysterious, presenting a jumble of letters and numbers whose purpose isn't immediately apparent. But once you get into the menu system, there are far more controls than you'd expect on a £400 monitor — including gamma, gain and colour temperature presets from 4000K to 10,000K.
The menu system allows you to turn on the Eizo FlexScan S2242W's Auto EcoView feature, which uses a light sensor to adjust brightness to the optimum for the lighting at your desk. This is designed more to save energy than keep your display's colours accurate, as raising or lowering the brightness can throw out any calibration you've applied.
We created a profile for the monitor using a DataColor Spyder3Elite calibrator and brought the resulting ICM file into Chromix ColorThink to inspect it. We saw quite a change between the provided profile and our calibration — though this was mainly a drop in brightness rather than a huge colour shift. Our tests showed that the Eizo FlexScan S2242W's gamut was expansive considering the price, though not as good as the dearer NEC's.
The Eizo FlexScan S2242W has only one DVI input — if you have a second computer for production or rendering or other tasks than doesn't require a sharp picture, there's a VGA port as well.
Eizo has bundled a bare minimum of software with the Eizo FlexScan S2242W and we even had to download the standard colour profile from the Eizo Web site. There are a couple of Windows-only tools, however, that replicate the monitor's OSD.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
- Samsung's 49-inch mega-wide display may displace multi-monitor setups
- More high-end GPUs are now compatible with Dell's 8K monitor
- Dell's wild 8K monitor goes on sale with a just-as-stunning price tag
- LG's 4K HDR monitor gets a price and release date, heralding a new era for PC displays
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- FTTechnology Project ManagerNSW
- FTApplication Support Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- FTSenior Solution Designer, Investment and Trading PlatformNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTSharePoint Technical Business AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Web DeveloperQLD
- FTPHP / WordPress DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- FTSQL BI Report DeveloperQLD
- CCdevOps EngineerNSW
- FTSenior .NET DevelopersSA
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerVIC
- FTQlikview Developer | Contract 6-12mthVIC
- FTData Analyst / Reporting SpecialistNSW
- FTSupport Engineer Level 3QLD
- FTGraduate Technical ConsultantACT
- FTProgram Manager - EducationNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerACT
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- TPSenior ConsultantNSW