Eidos Monster Lab
"It's alive... Alive!"
- Can pick up and play any time, good cartoon graphics, clear sound
- Controls can be frustrating until you figure them out
A charming detour, Monster Lab is a fantastically tongue-in-cheek adventure that has just enough charm in its gameplay to overshadow some lacklustre controls.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Monster Lab is a new role-playing title that puts you in the shoes of a Frankenstein-like mad scientist looking to create life. Much like Frankenstein himself, Eidos' Monster Lab allows you to construct various forms of monstrous life through a combination of limbs, parts, and special attributes. With so many options, what will you end up creating?
Monster Lab takes place in the Uncanny Valley, where you take on the role of the newest member in the Mad Science Alliance. Playing the apprentice to three very crazy scientists, each mentor will teach you different evil science techniques — the first being the zany Professor Fuseless. Your first mission is to leave the Gothic Castle, and go help the village by destroying the monster that is wreaking havoc on the poor villagers. Taking control of the monster is very easy, and allows you a wide array of actions. You can explore the land, hunt for monsters to fight, or go searching for "ingredients" to create your very own monster.
You gain your experience in Monster Lab by eliminating other hand-made monsters and stealing their parts (ouch!) With over a hundred different monster parts available, you can mix and match heads, arms, legs and torsos to construct your perfect monster. A downside to this rather innovative feature is that creating parts for your monster can be frustrating., but once you get the hang of the game's construction system as well as it's rather wonky control scheme, you'll be busting out Frankenstenian beasts in no time. Welding new parts can also be difficult, as the mobile screen can be distracting, not to mention a rather daunting time limit. If you don't complete the task under the sufficient amount of time, the item will be destroyed in the Weld-O-Tron.
The RPG combat style is great, allowing the player to choose which attack you want to use in order to most damage to the opposing monster. The graphics are wonderfully charming in an innovative 3-D cartoon style. The animation is very fluent and the battles are a breeze to figure out, each encounter a quick and fun exercise. The best part about Monster Lab is it's variety — with so many parts and monsters out there, it's almost guaranteed that you'll never have to fight the same monster twice! The game's sound is very clear and concise, with eerie music that really makes you feel like you're in a mad scientist's lair. Mixed with the game's fantastic visuals, the inherent charm of Monster Lab really takes effect!
Overall, Monster Lab is a great game. It's a fantastic pick-up-and-play title that's great for on-the-go creation, and an addictive battle system that always wants you leaving more. If the idea of creating your very own army of Frankenstein monsters appeals to you, be sure to pick up a copy of Monster Lab!
Join the newsletter!
Bitdefender’s best-in-class security solutions have been awarded Product of the Year.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- PAX AUS 2018 partners with EB Expo
- Planet of the Apes comes to VR
- New Zealand Consumer Spend on Video Games Headed Towards Half a Billion Dollars
- Razer roll out studio-grade Serien Elite microphone
- Blizzard announce new rewards for Battle for Azeroth preorders
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPScrum MasterNSW
- FTSenior Solutions Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Sydney CBD, Data Migration, Application IntegrationNSW
- CCXamarin .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTProduct Lead - DatabaseOther
- CCIT Cloud EngineerNSW
- FTSenior API/Integration DeveloperOther
- FTDesktop Engineer (Windows 10)Other
- FTIT Project CoordinatorOther
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- FTSenior BA ( Squad BA)Other
- FTProject Manager - Product & Value ChainOther
- CCWindows System Admin with IIS - Insurance ClientQLD
- FTSenior Consultant DCOther
- FTFull Stack Developer - (Mid Level)Other
- CCDevOps Engineer - Cloud - GovernmentVIC
- FTSenior Applications Project ManagerACT
- FTProduction Support AnalystOther
- FTNetezza DeveloperQLD
- CCJava DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- FTSAS Senior DeveloperOther
- FTApplication Support ManagerOther
- TPPMO AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Software Developer - Java/J2EE/Micro services URGENTOther