Edifier Prisma multimedia speakers
Edifier Prisma review: PC speakers that are stylish and sound good in a small room
- Stylish design, good build quality
- Bass distorts at high volume
- Satellite speakers harsh at high volume
The Edifier Prisma is a 2.1 channel speaker system designed for a PC, laptop or iPod. It's capable enough for low and moderate volume listening, but we wouldn't use it at maximum volume or in a large room -- it doesn't have the power. Sound quality is reasonably clear and punchy although more expensive systems have less background noise and cleaner bass response.
Price$ 129.95 (AUD)
Edifier's Prisma multimedia speakers are reasonably compact and sound good as long as you don't turn them up too loud. The system is also well built and looks stylish.
Edifier Prisma: Design and setup
The Prisma system comprises two satellite speakers and a subwoofer. They're all well built and feel solid, and we're confident they'll stand the test of time. The volume control is large, metal and pleasantly weighted; Edifier's speakers always have excellent volume knobs. The power button is on the top of the subwoofer, which might be annoying if you want to keep it tucked away under a table.
The system uses the subwoofer as a connection hub. The satellites, which have a Y-shaped cord around 1.5m long, connect with a 3.5mm jack. A 3.5mm male-to-male cable of any length can be used to connect the Prisma to a PC, laptop, iPod or other audio device.
Like Edifier's other speaker systems, the volume control plugs into the subwoofer using a screw-in connector — this adds a minute or two to the setup time but it means you can place the volume control wherever you want and use an extension cable if necessary. There's no remote control, but we don't see the need unless you intend to use the Edifier Prisma in a big room (where it's out of its element). Bass volume can be changed with a dial on the base of the subwoofer — difficult to access, but once you've set the bass once we don't see a reason to change it.
Edifier Prisma: Sound quality
At moderate volume levels with the bass turned up to just below its maximum level, we found the Edifier Prisma had reasonably good sound quality — good levels of detail could be heard in treble notes and bass was warm and forward. Mid-range frequencies are a little recessed, which makes the system sound 'punchy' — prominent, clear treble and audible bass — but some music tracks suffer and can sound hollow. The Prisma is well suited to playing compressed music files off an MP3 player like an iPod.
The Edifier Prisma speakers perform best at moderate volume. They're well suited to near-field listening, like when you're sitting at your computer or within a small office or study space. Larger rooms show up the speakers' lack of mid-range power. With the speakers and source turned up to maximum volume, the Edifier Prisma does fill a large room with sound, but this comes at the cost of harsh treble and muddy, distorted bass. We wouldn't recommend the Edifier Prisma for use in a large room or at sustained full volume.
Edifier Prisma: Conclusion
The Edifier Prisma is a well designed speaker system. It would make a good addition to a similarly styled PC or laptop, or any of a huge number of shiny white Apple products. We wouldn't use it at full volume, though.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Ultimate Ears unveil Alexa-powered BLAST and MEGABLAST smart speakers
- BeoPlay introduce P6 portable speaker
- Hisense Unveils 2018 ULED TV Range
- Amazon confirm Echo Spot for Australian market
- LG celebrate ThinQ brand with new 2018 TV range
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Desktop Support AnalystOther
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTAnalyst DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PERMANENT -Other
- FTAWS AdministratorNSW
- FTSystem AdministratorVIC
- FTSenior API/Integration DeveloperOther
- FTSalesforce CRM Scrum Product OwnerOther
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTSenior SQL Server Infrastructure Engineer/DBAOther
- FTSales Training Coordinator / Systems TrainingNSW
- TPAO6 IT Procurement OfficerQLD
- FTSecurity DesignerOther
- CCiOS Developer - Brisbane locationVIC
- FTProgram Project Manager, Business Technology EnablementOther
- FTFull Stack Developer - (Mid Level)Other
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTMarketing Analyst - $60 phOther
- FTForeperson / Field Supervisor - ConstructionVIC
- TPManager, IT and Digital SupportVIC
- FTSoftware Technical WriterOther
- FTEntry Level IT help deskOther
- FTNetezza Developer - Brisbane locationNSW
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW