Easy WebContent web-page editing service
- Easy to use, affordable, great for novices
- Previews in Firefox come out compressed, can't create or edit CSS files
The average human being who has no Web design experience but who can use Microsoft Word will find working with Easy WebContent a breeze. It's well worth the price to avoid the learning curve of expensive products that offer more than you need.
Price$ 9.95 (AUD)
NOTE: This product has a monthly fee of $9.95
The Easy WebContent website-editing service more than lives up to its name. And it's inexpensive.
It is a rare but unalloyed pleasure to try a product or service for which you have only modest expectations, and find yourself blown out of the water. Easy WebContent, an online service designed to take the fuss out of editing Web pages, is that good.
In fact, Easy WebContent is a $9.95-per-month service that's better than most stand-alone Web-design applications we've used over the past 10 years or so.
Easy WebContent isn't designed to compete with an Adobe Dreamweaver-scale product; it's meant to help average mortals update Web pages. And in that market, it has no rival.
Online services such as Mr Site use template approaches that restrict what you can do with your site; Easy WebContent comes much closer than its template-oriented competitors to being a Web design application.
To upload new and revised files for your Web site with Easy WebContent, you just enter the FTP (File Transfer Protocol) settings that most Web hosts provide. The service doesn't help you create a site – it's really for editing existing pages you've already designed or had a designer create. Nor does it include any e-commerce tools.
To get started, you set up an account with Easy WebContent and enter the FTP log-in information for one or more Web sites that you want to manage through the service. The service retrieves an index of all the files in each hosted site, broken down into separate File Manager lists for each site. Easy WebContent lets you edit Web pages without changing the Web server's configuration. Most users, especially those using basic hosting services, have no access to Web server settings that more-elaborate products require, including installing special scripts.
The File Manager has just three links per HTML file: Edit, Preview, and Delete. As in an operating system file list, the file type, size, and last modified date are all shown. Click Edit, and what you see is what you get (Wysiwyg) on-screen editor appears.
We found it easy to revise existing copy; add tables; resize, flip and crop images; and even add forms. (The forms produce simple e-mail results, but that's fine for most purposes.)
Although you can't create or edit CSS files – which define the appearance and formatting of type and layout throughout your site – the styles we had previously defined for a site appeared in the pop-up menu, making it easy to apply those pre-existing styles to new elements.
As a result, the software is appropriate for a site in which a designer constructs a complicated format but less-tech-savvy people are responsible for updating the pages. The designer need only provide instructions to editors on which styles to use where.
The site supports several browsers. In our testing, the only glitch we saw was in how the software previewed a page in Firefox. The live graphical editing displayed fine, but the preview of the finished page was compressed into a thin horizontal frame in the middle.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDesktop Support Analyst / EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- FTNetwork Administrator / Junior Network OperatorOther
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSAP HR Team LeadOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Office 365 ProjectOther
- FTNetwork AdministratorOther
- FTNetwork Solution ArchitectOther
- TPCRM Project ManagerQLD
- CCDevOps Engineers x 3VIC
- FTField EngineerOther
- FTBusiness Systems Analyst - HR SystemsOther
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTLean Six Sigma Process AnalystOther
- FTCoach, Lean Startup & Design Thinking approachOther
- FTOracle Developer / EngineerACT
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTRPA Tech LeadVIC
- FTTalent Acquisition Specialist - Large Blue Chip clientOther
- CCTableau DeveloperACT
- FTURGENT - Contract opportunity Business Analyst - Finance - Immediate startVIC
- FTSenior Systems Engineer, Wintel, VMWareOther
- TPProject CoordinatorACT
- FTIT Security Assurance AnalystOther