NBA Live 10
Live 10 is without question the best looking game of the series to date
- Dynamic DNA for up to the minute rosters, great arena/seasonal effects and chants, control scheme is much improved and free-style passing is a godsend on fast breaks
- AI still has some serious mental lapses, lack of game play options, Marv Albert joins John Madden's repetitive hall of fame
Ouch. It looks like the EA machine stumbled a bit with NBA 10. While 2K's effort is getting raves, NBA 10 clocks in with a middling score. Hopefully, this motivates the dev team to go back to the drawing board and get their gameplan in order.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
EA's NBA Live is back again this year trying to dig itself out of a hole it has been mired in since the birth of the Dreamcast ten years ago. For those keeping score at home, Live has been trying to gain our attention with stiff player animations, lousy AI and poor play mechanics (seriously? I need two shoot buttons?) for a decade.
I dog the Live series a lot, and that's because the 2K series has always been a far better representation of real NBA action in my opinion. Fortunately, the guys at EA Canada have obviously started to take exception to being the second stringers in the realm of virtual basketball, because this year's Live is actually a really encouraging step forward for the series.
Live 10 is without question the best looking game of the series to date, the players run well, off the ball action is fairly consistent and arenas are recreated with near perfect detail down to individual player warm up routines -- like Wade's pull ups and LeBron's powder shower thing that gets the kids in Cleveland all geeked. Players will try to get open and when you're moving down the court for a set play, there will be players improvising around defenders and jockeying for position on the boxes.
I really can't say enough about how impressive the overall aesthetic of NBA Live 10 is, even down to the crowds, which really are regarded as nothing more than background noise, they seem to move almost as well and as independently as the players! The focus on atmosphere really shines through with this attention to detail, as rivalry games and playoff games become a circus and brings the vibe of professional basketball to life. As a Sixers fan, this is excellent news for me, as I haven't seen professional basketball since roughly 2002.
There's a certain reverence for the culture around basketball, there is an incredible abundance of shoes, jerseys and other specific details that just scream out the passion that EA Canada has put into this project. However, I can't help but think that had more time been spent on the gameplay, I'd be singing the praises of a good basketball video game and not a good basketball video montage.
For all the good work done to improve the court team management and to simplify the controls by -- FINALLY just one shoot button -- there are still some glaring AI issues present. The new emphasis on hustle plays is greatly over exaggerated as I have yet to see a player fly head first out of bounds for a ball, rather it needs to be more of an opportune ball going out to be saved. As mentioned earlier, off the ball movement has been greatly improved, but is still far from perfect. Players will slash and move around defenders, but every so often a pass will go to a player standing on the corner and his first instinct is to step out of bounds. This is hardly gamebreaking, it's just one of those things that can take you out of a game quickly and is, quite frankly, insanely frustrating while playing a close game against a white hot scoring team.
Another gripe I have is with the lack of game modes. NBA Live 10 has an extremely powerful dynasty mode that is really all I'll ever need to get my money's worth out of this game, and the FIBA World Championship mode is a welcome change of pace, but the DYNAMIC Season mode doesn't thrill me as much. I like the idea of the in-game roster updating daily with the outcomes and streaks of their real life counterparts, and being able to replay a team's tough loss, thus turning it into a win, might help ease the sting of losing a bit, but I can't help but think basketball is the perfect game for a superstar mode and the Live series is still sorely lacking on that front. Being able to create a baller from the ground up and guide him through an NBA career is the perfect setting for a game mode that's horribly utilized in the Madden series.
...and that will do it.
The Live series makes a strong come back this year with NBA LIVE 10, so what if it took a decade on the pine watching 2K take home all the hardware? There's no shame in being the Sixth Man so long as you keep improving to a full fledged starter. With that said, I don't remember the last time I saw somebody go out and buy an Aaron McKie jersey.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Overwatch League draws millions of eyes in first week
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By MadCatz
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Razer
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By HyperX
- CES 2018: HyperX announces Wireless Cloud Flight Headset and RGB range
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst - Security / IDAMOther
- TPProgram ManagerACT
- CCPega Resources Required - Developers & ArchitectsACT
- CCGenesys ConsultantACT
- FTNetwork Engineering Team Lead/Network ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCLead Technical Specialist ? Wintel PlatformVIC
- CCSenior Test Coordinator - IMRNSW
- FTIntegration SpecialistNSW
- FTDevOps Developer- ElasticSearch, BitbucketOther
- CCSenior PMO Analyst - TelcoVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager - Risk & ComplianceNSW
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- FTSecurity Cleared Network EngineerACT
- TPBusiness Intelligence AnalystQLD
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- TPProgram Delivery Manager - Health LISQLD
- FTFull stack DeveloperOther
- CCNetwork Engineer (Juniper)QLD
- FTSenior Consultant - Portfolio GovernanceVIC
- FTRail Program Manager, Fleet TransformationOther
- FTSenior Change Analyst - ERP implementationOther
- CCHFC Project Officer (Governance Support) - 6 mth contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- FTProject Coordinator, Technology ProjectsOther
- FTCommunications SpecialistSA