FIFA Soccer 10
Within its first week of release, FIFA Soccer 10 sold 1.7 million copies in Europe, making it the fastest-selling sports game and EA's biggest European launch
- New AI, physics, 360 degree dribbling and all sorts of new content, tonnes of value and replayability, feels much more fluid and responsive than last year's title
- The passing mechanic could use some slight tweaking (but it's hardly worth mentioning)
FIFA Soccer 10 is surefire winner all around. Fans of sports games definitely have to buy it, even if they don't have a strong interest in soccer--it's just that good.
Price$ 109.95 (AUD)
There's a senseless yet subconscious question we ask ourselves when we experience a video game that's incredibly realistic and enjoyable; we can't help but think, "How can this get any better?" I first asked myself this after experiencing the perfection of MLB 09: The Show, and now I'm asking myself the same question after experiencing FIFA Soccer 10.
And even though I don't need the vindication, it's nice to know that the world seems to agree with me. Within its first week of release, FIFA Soccer 10 sold 1.7 million copies in Europe, making it the fastest-selling sports game and EA's biggest European launch. That right there should give you a basic illustration of this iteration's excellence.
The Real Deal
FIFA Soccer 10 seems so real that it nearly blew my mind. The game builds on last year's instalment to a great extent with new AI, physics, modes and features. The presentation and structure is nearly identical to that of 09's--not a bad thing at all--but FIFA 10 does an admirable job of retaining what works while adding subtle improvements that make an existing product even better. To that end, the control scheme is far more fluid and it allows players to orchestrate their team's movements in an intuitive and satisfying fashion.
But what makes the FIFA series so great is the actual sport itself: there are theories that the reason why soccer is so universally popular is that it is, at least on the surface, such a simple sport. Everyone knows how to run and kick a ball, after all
And that sense of accessibility and familiarity translates well over to the FIFA 10 experience. It's an incredibly easy game to pick up and play, from the game's single-player modes to its exemplary multiplayer. After inviting my friends over, a 2 minute primer was all it took for my soon-to-be teammates to get a grasp of the controls. Within a few tackles and yellow cards, my friends were acclimated and invested in the action. NOTE: The feature that amplified everyone's skill was the X (+ turbo) technique on defence (the coolest thing according to them). With all new AI, 360 dribbling, physics, innovative options and the traditional elements of previous FIFA instalments, the game becomes more casual while still possessing enough realism to also work as a hardcore sports title. That's a perfect mix in my book.
We Got Your Sim
I don't think I've ever been wrapped up in a sports game quite like FIFA 10. While it's fun as a party game, the game also has a great sense of realism that's delivered in a number of novel ways. For instance, do you prefer to orchestrate your team through a generated season, or online against friends? Do you prefer to control a team or play as a customised character and work together with other users? Then there's the question of how deep into simulation and customisation you want to go. There's plenty of modes and options for you to customise, giving you a great sense of content and value.
To illustrate, let me tell you how I play the game. I primarily play exhibition against my buddy (who's a high school soccer coach/expert), Manager Mode, and Pro Club. I customise my corner kicks, formation (and most options therein), tactics and attacks. That's just my approach; here's how my buddy, the soccer coach, plays: He customises his free kicks, runs man-to-man coverage and controls the offensive/defensive direction; he was also totally blown away by the Live 2.0 option. Since he follows soccer like the rest of us follow football, he can combine his score tracking with his video gaming habits. I could go on and on about the various experiences within FIFA 10, but that would take some time, and I have some drills to practice.
And it's a GOAL!!!
Needless to say, FIFA 10 is superb. The more I type of this review, the more I wish I was playing it right now. I feel pretty confident in saying that it is the most enjoyable sports game I've ever played. It has the depth that diehard and sim fans require while also offering up the option for a simplistic experience that casual fans can enjoy, and with a ton of new goodies, FIFA Soccer 10 is surefire winner all around. Fans of sports games definitely have to buy it, even if they don't have a strong interest in soccer--it's just that good.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Overwatch League draws millions of eyes in first week
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By MadCatz
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Razer
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By HyperX
- CES 2018: HyperX announces Wireless Cloud Flight Headset and RGB range
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCHFC Support EngineerNSW
- CCSenior MySQL Database Administrator - SydneyACT
- FTDNS Network SpecialistOther
- FTSalesforce Developers x 7Other
- CCIBM Lotus Notes DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- TPSenior Business AnalsytACT
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst - Security / IDAMOther
- FTJBOSS Application Server LeadOther
- FTWLM Hanna Data ModellersACT
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerWA
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD
- CCBusiness AdministratorNSW
- CCAdvisory Project Manager - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- FTIT Security OfficerACT
- FTAutomation Tester/Technical Business AnalystOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- FTEnterprise Architect - Security - Operational TechnologyOther
- CCPega Resources Required - Developers & ArchitectsACT
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- CCLean Six Sigma Process Improvement SpecialistNSW
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support AnalystOther