Divoom Voombox-Travel rugged Bluetooth speaker
You can use this colourful little speaker while on outdoor adventures, or even while you're in the bathroom. The choice is yours because it has an IP44 ingress rating
- Plenty of volume and good overall sound
- No line-in jack
Price$ 69.00 (AUD)
Christmas is a great time for Bluetooth speakers. They make for a useful gift for all ages due to the wide selection of colours, shapes and capabilities that are available, and prices are equally varied. Mixing up the category a little is the Divoom range of Bluetooth speakers, which includes splash- and dust-resistant models that can be used outdoors. The one we're revieweing here is the Divoom Voombox-Travel.
This is a colourful little speaker that shouldn't cost you any more than a about $70, and the big deal about it is that it has an IP44 rating for water ingress and dust penetration, and is designed to be used outdoors. Whether you're camping by the lake or picnicking at a city park, whether you're sitting by the pool or mixing it up at the beach, as long as you don't sumberge the speaker in water or sand, it will be sweet.
If too much water ends up on the speaker driver, it will be weighed down and struggle to make the air move and produce sound. You'll have to clear the water and let it dry a little before the sound gets back to normal. Just remember that it will withstand slight splashes only!
It has a rugged exterior with a rubber lining around the edge that acts as a bumper, and the micro-USB port is covered so that dirt from your adventures doesn't end up clogging it. There are buttons for power, volume, and for the hands-free phone function, and they are all sealed as well. At one end, there is a metal clasp so that you can pass a strap through it and hang the speaker from wherever you desire (perhaps the base of your shower head).
Sound is delivered through one 2-inch, full-range speaker at the top, and there is a 2-inch passive bass radiator on the bottom. It's the radiator's job to enhance the low-end frequencies (kind of like a bass port in a bigger speaker would).
You can't expect stellar sound quality from a speaker such as this one. It's not like it's a Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay A2 or anything, but for the price you pay, it's definitely a serviceable little unit. We hooked it up to our Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone without any issues using Bluetooth 4.0 and streamed some of the tunes we have stored in Google Play Music.
In terms of genres, we played a bit of everything on it, including Mariah Carey's Emotions album. The singer's glorious vocals came through loud and clear on songs such as Can't Let Go and Till The End of Time (our favourites), but the music did sound a little flat — expectedly so considering the size of the speaker and the fact that it's not stereo.
When we played heavy hip-hop beats, the speaker bounced around on the table a little in a comical fashion and we could really feel the vibrations coming through the furniture. It was an awesome display of power, so we just turned the volume down a little. We found that the speaker sounded best when we placed the it on a soft surface so that some of the bass could be absorbed.
Overall, though, it's hard not to be happy with this speaker. We could definitely listen to it on a daily basis, either at work, at home, outdoors, wherever. The sound from it is enjoyable and it comes out with plenty of volume. There is an internal lithium ion battery that Divoom states can last for up to six hours. If you're really stuck for power, you can always juice it up with a portable charger such as the TP-Link 10400mAh Power Bank.
Pick up this little Divoom Voombox-Travel speaker yourself or for any outdoors lovers who would enjoy listening to music while adventuring.
• B&O BeoPlay A2 portable Bluetooth speaker review.
• Lenco's PlayConnect can add Wi-Fi to your Hi-Fi
• If you're after a multiroom speaker system that can play music from your phone or tablet, Lenco's PlayLink will allow you to do just that.
• If you want to buy a new Bluetooth speaker rather than use your old stereo, try the Polk Woodbourne. It's one of favourites due to its powerful sound and sturdy design.
• The Braven 855s and 850 are good choices if you want portable Bluetooth speakers, and if you buy two of them you can actually create a truly mobile stereo Bluetooth speaker system.
• Logitech's UE Boom box is also a good option if you want a portable speaker.
• Sony's SRS-X5 bluetooth speaker is a portable 2.1 system with loud sound.
• Best Bluetooth devices for streaming music from a smartphone or tablet to a stereo system
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCApplications Deployment/SupportNSW
- FTIT Security Technical Business AnalystOther
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperACT
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPPenetration TesterQLD
- CCMultiple Xamarin DevelopersVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- CCTest Specialist - eCommerceVIC
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCMS Dynamics Technical Consultant - 6 month contract Initially - SydneyNSW
- FTLevel 3 Application Support EngineerQLD
- TPSolution Architect - AzureNSW
- FTChange ManagerOther
- CCUX DesignerVIC
- FTData ModellerOther
- FT2 x Python Developers - FinTech/TradingOther
- FTSharepoint ConsultantOther
- CCTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- FTPolicy OfficerOther
- FTSignalling EngineerOther
- FTNetwork Support Engineer x2Other
- FTDelivery ManagerVIC