Digital Arts iTake-5 iPhone App
Optimise your photos using Digital Arts' iPhone app
- Photo optimisation makes photos more vivid
- Some stability issues, difference in quality isn't always noticeable
Digital Arts' iTake-5 makes your iPhone photos look better through a proprietary photo optimisation technique. It doesn't always work, but the small improvements it does provide can make a world of difference.
Price$ 2.49 (AUD)
Joining the large array of photo manipulation iPhone apps like ColorSplash is Digital Arts' iTake-5, which tweaks the colours and brightness in photos. This iPhone app can enhance photos but it has an unattractive and confusing interface.
Digital Arts already provides a similar application for Windows and Mac OS, as well as plug-ins for a variety of video and photo editing applications. Both the iPhone app and the desktop application use the company's proprietary Xe847 photo processing technology, which analyses and enhances the colour, brightness and contrast of photos.
The app uses large and unwieldy buttons on its main menu, and the screen on which the optimised photos are shown features a distracting sunset background. Thankfully, tapping the top-left of the screen gets rid of the background in order to magnify the before and after photos. A simple black background would have sufficed.
Once a photo is chosen from the camera roll or photo album, iTake-5 processes the photo and provides you with a choice of five different optimised photos. You view each option side-by-side with the original photograph, and can choose which you prefer of the two. The magnification mode allows you to zoom in using a multi-touch gesture.
Photos are processed within five seconds, but the results can be hard to notice. We tested the app with several photos of different objects and subjects takin in a range of lighting situations. For the most part, the photos from the iPhone's camera were brighter and slightly more vivid once processed. However, some of the enhanced photos actually had more noise than the original image; this wasn't often the case.
We experienced some stability issues while using iTake-5. Though it doesn't appear to have memory issues (memory-heavy iPhone apps tend to slow down with use), it did crash at random intervals (often when we pressed a button or attempted to choose one optimised photo over another).
iTake-5 won't work miracles, but it can make up for some of the shortfalls of the iPhone's camera and spruce up your photos. The free version of this iPhone app limits the final resolution of a photo — it will only save at 480x320 pixels — but if you aren't planning on taking the photos off your iPhone, the free version is all you will need.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- Intel tells customers to stop rolling out faulty patches
- Why parents should worry about Office 365's Immersive Reader dictation feature for students
- Humble Monthly is selling Civilization VI for 80% off
- The Full Nerd episode 39: Meltdown, Spectre, and astronomical graphics card prices
- Moto E5 Release Date, Price & Specification Rumours
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review: Full, in-depth review
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Office 365 Project)Other
- CCProject Administrator - Marketing & DigitalVIC
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTWintel LeadOther
- FTHOGAN Technical ConsultantOther
- FT.NET DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Technical Specialist L3 x 2 ? Large Telco ? 6 month contract initiallyNSW
- CCCisco Communication Engineer / Technician - FIFOWA
- FTData AnalystOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst x 2 - ServiceNowQLD
- FTPower BI /SQL DeveloperOther
- CCProject Manager - InfrastructureWA
- FTInside Sales Representative - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- TPIntermediate Solution Architect - DataQLD
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- TPTest Analyst / CoordinatorQLD
- TPProgram Manager - Long Term ContractQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystWA
- CCIT Service Desk Specialist - BrisbaneVIC
- CCDigital Project Manager - AdobeVIC
- FTSales/Account Manager - Government SectorNSW
- FTSenior Technical Test AnalystOther
- TPBusiness Analyst - Health - 12+ month contractQLD
- FTUX Design LeadOther
- FTAutomation Test Analyst- QTP/UFT scripting - X5Other