- Sounds brilliant, looks great
- Heavy, expensive
A wonderful amplifier that provides brilliant sound, but at a premium cost.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
The Denon PMA-2000AE is a huge piece of machinery. It weighs more than most televisions and takes some real muscle to even pick up. As an analogue audio amplifier, we were expecting some serious sound quality and we were not disappointed in that regard. Don't get confused though, it's not a digital receiver; which means you can't run any video through it. It is purely for high quality audio reproduction.
Most sources, be they CD players, DVD players or PCs, lack the ability to adequately amplify sound. An amplifier won't actually make your music sound any better than it is already capable of sounding, but what it does is enhance the sound by reproducing the signal at a stronger level, helping to bring out the intricacies and nuances of each piece. When listening to music with a high quality amplifier you will notice a massive improvement.
The 2000AE definitely brought out the best in our music. The best way to describe the sound was punchy. It gave some serious strength to the mid range, and gave the bass a real kick, even without a subwoofer. The detail in Jeff Buckley's songs was absolutely fantastic; it allowed us to hear elements that we'd never noticed before, not even on $400 headphones with a solid source. The soundstage was similarly incredible; even on mediocre speakers we were impressed with the depth and positioning of the audio. We had absolutely no complaints about the sound quality; it was everything we could have hoped for, and more.
The unit itself is cased in slick, silver metal, with grates running along the top and presuming you've got The Hulk to help stack it for you, it will look fine in any home theatre setup. The control set is quite simple, offering a certain elegance that cluttered, digital receivers can't quite manage.
There are three controls for treble, bass and balance, as well as a volume knob, power button and input selector. Because it isn't a digital tuner, there are no preset sound modes or digital options such as DTS, but that is to be expected. The available options give more than enough control to manipulate most elements of the music.
On the rear plate of the 2000AE are the inputs and outputs, and there are an absolute mountain of them. The back is littered with ports, mostly stereo, as digital or coaxial signals would be worthless to this unit. The 2000AE has the capacity to support up to seven devices, with two able to record through it. There are connections for two speakers, both regular and bi-wired varieties, and a lineout for a subwoofer. It offers everything you need for a great audio setup.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSystems Engineer (data centre)Other
- CCApplication Support Analyst - Level 2QLD
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager x 2 (Infrastructure)NSW
- FTPublishing Specialist - TelecommunicationOther
- FTData warehouse SpecialistOther
- TPBusiness Intelligence Analyst|Software DeveloperQLD
- FTJava J2EE DeveloperOther
- FTSales ManagerVIC
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support EngineerOther
- CCAutomation Test AnalystNSW
- FTCountry Manager - Business DevelopmentOther
- FTGateway Architect - perm / contractACT
- FTField Service EngineerOther
- CCRPG Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTLead PHP DeveloperQLD
- FTSQL DeveloperACT
- CCIT Cloud EngineerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Designer - Citrix/AWSOther
- TPSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerNSW
- FTDigital BAOther
- FTService Manager - Solution ArchitectOther
- FTEnterprise Architect - ApplicationsOther
- FTBusiness Analyst | Gold CoastQLD