Dell 5230dn laser printer
Dell's 5230dn monochrome laser printer has the speed and features for a busy office
- Fast, inexpensive toner
- High purchase price
Fast and expandable, and using cheap toner, the Dell 5230dn laser printer is well suited for a high-volume office.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
The Dell 5230dn monochrome laser printer may cost more up front, but its speed and expandability make it an excellent choice for a medium-size workgroup.
The 5230dn offers plenty of standard features, plus room to grow. It supports a combined 350 pages of input from the main and multipurpose trays. You can add up to three 550-sheet drawers ($345.40 each) and a 2000-sheet drawer feeder ($1381.60) for a maximum capacity of 4000 sheets.
Equipped with USB and Ethernet ports, the 5230dn also has a slot for optional serial or parallel connectors ($90 or less). An empty bay lets you add a hard drive for fonts or forms. The control panel has a 3-inch, four-line, backlit monochrome LCD that can tilt upward slightly, plus clearly labelled buttons, a keypad, and a front USB port.
Built for high-volume printing, the 5230dn has a 200,000-page monthly duty cycle and very good speed. It averaged 23.4 pages per minute on a PC and 21.5 ppm on a Mac when printing mostly plain text with some simple monochrome graphics. Though the text quality was as good as you'd expect, images suffered from a limited greyscale range and slower print times.
A high-volume office needs cheap toner, and the 5230dn delivers that. Replacement use-and-return cartridges come in $229.90, 7000-page standard and $410.30, 21,000-page high-yield sizes, working out to 3 cents and 1.9 cents per page, respectively. Nonreturnable cartridges are available at a significantly higher cost. The printer even ships with a standard cartridge rather than a lower-capacity "starter" unit. Cartridges are easy to remove and replace; the cartridge itself displays clear illustrations, just in case.
A busy office needs a printer that can keep pace. The Dell 5230dn can do that--and it can grow with your business. The inexpensive toner and generous warranty sweeten the deal.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSAP Project ManagerQLD
- FTBig Data Analyst/Business AnalystNSW
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC
- TPSAP Project ManagerQLD
- CCFull-Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber Security - CanberraNSW
- CCSenior Internet Services EngineerNSW
- CCApplications Project ManagerACT
- TPSenior Business Analyst | Financial ServicesQLD
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- TPDNS Security SpecialistVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- CCAutomation TesterNSW
- CCNetwork Test EngineerVIC
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- TPMS Dynamics CRM AdministratorACT
- CCPortfolio / Project Coordinator - BrisbaneVIC
- FTReceptionist/ Front Desk CoordinatorOther
- FTSenior Consultant - .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)NSW
- FTAWS AdministratorNSW
- TPSenior Technical Business AnalystQLD
- FTDesktop Support Engineer - Onsite - UrgentOther