Dell 5230dn laser printer
Dell's 5230dn monochrome laser printer has the speed and features for a busy office
- Fast, inexpensive toner
- High purchase price
Fast and expandable, and using cheap toner, the Dell 5230dn laser printer is well suited for a high-volume office.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
The Dell 5230dn monochrome laser printer may cost more up front, but its speed and expandability make it an excellent choice for a medium-size workgroup.
The 5230dn offers plenty of standard features, plus room to grow. It supports a combined 350 pages of input from the main and multipurpose trays. You can add up to three 550-sheet drawers ($345.40 each) and a 2000-sheet drawer feeder ($1381.60) for a maximum capacity of 4000 sheets.
Equipped with USB and Ethernet ports, the 5230dn also has a slot for optional serial or parallel connectors ($90 or less). An empty bay lets you add a hard drive for fonts or forms. The control panel has a 3-inch, four-line, backlit monochrome LCD that can tilt upward slightly, plus clearly labelled buttons, a keypad, and a front USB port.
Built for high-volume printing, the 5230dn has a 200,000-page monthly duty cycle and very good speed. It averaged 23.4 pages per minute on a PC and 21.5 ppm on a Mac when printing mostly plain text with some simple monochrome graphics. Though the text quality was as good as you'd expect, images suffered from a limited greyscale range and slower print times.
A high-volume office needs cheap toner, and the 5230dn delivers that. Replacement use-and-return cartridges come in $229.90, 7000-page standard and $410.30, 21,000-page high-yield sizes, working out to 3 cents and 1.9 cents per page, respectively. Nonreturnable cartridges are available at a significantly higher cost. The printer even ships with a standard cartridge rather than a lower-capacity "starter" unit. Cartridges are easy to remove and replace; the cartridge itself displays clear illustrations, just in case.
A busy office needs a printer that can keep pace. The Dell 5230dn can do that--and it can grow with your business. The inexpensive toner and generous warranty sweeten the deal.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperACT
- FTService desk supportACT
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- TPIT Change Manager Windows UpgradeVIC
- FTMid-Level Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Metering Systems / AMIOther
- CCUI DeveloperVIC
- FTApplication Migration EngineerOther
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- TPProject Manager - Data Feed ReplacementVIC
- CCWindows / Unix / Linux Systems Administration / Support SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer - DigitalVIC
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTLead Front End DeveloperOther
- CCMobile Applications Developer (Brisbane)NSW
- FTETL DeveloperOther
- FTInfrastructure Business AnalystOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTMiddleware System AdministratorACT
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCJava DeveloperQLD
- FTSitecore DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther