DAZ Productions 3D Bridge for Photoshop
Add 3D elements to your artwork
- An efficient way to bring 3D scenes into Photoshop, texture painting workflow
- Slow, buggy, good content hard to find, Studio modelling software is limited
If you currently use Daz Studio, Bridge has its merits — but it does prove that there's no easy way to move from 2D to 3D art.
Many illustrators and artists would like to include 3D elements in their artwork, but are often put off by the deeply technical aspects of 3D modelling and rendering. Daz Studio provides an easy way to create 3D scenes from libraries of modifiable objects, and the suite's creator has now released 3D Bridge for Photoshop, designed to provide a smooth workflow between true 3D work in Daz's tool and layered 2D art in Photoshop.
Before you touch 3D Bridge or Photoshop, you build your elements in Daz Studio. This is a free application — Daz makes its money by selling the models to use within it. You combine character models with props and environments. There's a simple Poser-style system for applying clothing, poses and accessories to characters. Daz Studio even has basic animation tools, but they're largely irrelevant for illustrators and artists.
With very limited modelling tools, Daz Studio's — and therefore the 3D Bridge's — usefulness depends on the range of models on offer. You get a single scene free with Daz Studio.
3D Bridge comes with a few more bundled, but buying models from Daz's site is inexpensive. There's a wide range of content available — although it takes some searching to find suitable materials, as the best-selling packs are often fantasy or anime-themed, and, frankly, rather sexist. We had trouble getting these assets to install correctly.
Once you've created your scene, you open Photoshop and bring up the floating 3D Bridge palette from the Automate menu. From here, you can render your scene to a new layer in your Photoshop document. This is where we hit our first snag, as our scene didn't import with a transparent background for comping behind.
The integration between the two applications for this workflow is great, you can quickly bring preview renders into Photoshop to aid positioning in Daz Studio, and there's an update feature (automatic or manual), so that as you change your scene, your preview changes automatically.
In Photoshop CS3 Extended, you can also bring your scene into the application's own 3D workspace, so you can manipulate its positioning in 3D for better alignment with other elements. However, you're then reliant on Photoshop's rather basic rendering engine, so it's useful only if you want wireframe or cartoony output.
The Import Textures and Export Textures buttons allow you to use Photoshop as a texture editor for the textures within your scene. These work well, as Photoshop's paint tools are far superior to Daz Studio's.
3D Bridge for Photoshop's greatest flaw is that it's time-consuming to use. Like Daz Studio itself, it's slow and prone to crashing, causing Photoshop to hang.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTService Desk Analyst - L1Other
- FTService Desk EngineerOther
- FTTechnical Business Analyst / Application Support AnalystOther
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSupply Master Data AnalystOther
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- CCDevelopment Lead - Java - TelcoVIC
- FTFront End Developer l HTML5 , SCSS, Bootstrap, KnockOut, MVVPNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- CCWin10 Apps PackagerWA
- CCSAP EAM Functional AnalystQLD
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- TPCyber Security ConsultantNSW
- CCSharePoint Developer / AdministratorNSW
- TPAndroid Engineer - Contract (6 months)NSW
- FTIntegration DeveloperVIC
- FTHadoop DevelopersOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTField EngineerVIC
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT
- FTSenior Project Manager, Facilities & Asset ManagementOther
- CCWholesale Trading Solutions ArchitectNSW