Watch YouTube without a browser, thanks to DeskTube
- Free, support for several social-networking sites and services
- A bit shaky
Overall, DeskTube is a great idea which is still being perfected. DeskTube is under very active and ongoing development, so I suspect most of its issues will be sorted out in time.
Want to watch YouTube without all the overhead of a browser? DeskTube (free) lets you do just that. DeskTube is, as you might guess, a desktop app which connects to YouTube and shows you videos. You have access to most of the functionality of YouTube through DeskTube, including the ability to see the festering pit of humanity which is the "Comments" section of almost any video. Because the interface can be designed without the constraints of a browser-based app, it is snappier and somewhat cleaner than YouTube.
Furthermore, DeskTube lets you tap into several social-networking sites and services, such as Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter, giving you a unified console from which you can a) Watch videos of cats being cute, b) Upload video of your cat being cute, and, c) Tell all your friends that your cat did something cute. The idea of specialized portals into Web data, other than the browser, is an excellent one, one of those "D'oh!" notions that seems obvious only after someone else has thought of it.
But... (there's always a but, isn't there?) DeskTube is still a bit shaky. The interface is neither Windows-standard nor Web-standard, and there are several peculiarities to the controls. Some items would become selectable, or not, seemingly at random--for example, say you're watching a video and the right-hand tab shows "Related". You click "Comments", spend a few seconds reading them, weep for the future of the human race, then click "Related" again. Nothing happens--you must hide the Comments pane in order to see the Related videos once again. There are other, similar, issues. I can see my friend's posts in Facebook, but even though there's a box to allow me to enter my status ("I'm reviewing a program."), I am unable to actually type text into it.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- Dragon Gets NDIS Approval
- NAB go in on Google Assistant integration with new app
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - POS/DesktopOther
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerVIC
- FTCommunications Manager- Organisational Change ManagementOther
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation)NSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTJunior / Mid Level .Net DeveloperOther
- FTWorkday TesterVIC
- FTMessage Queue / DataPower AdministratorACT
- TPSenior Service DeskVIC
- FTAdministration Support/CoordinationOther
- FTSenior Security ConsultantNSW
- TPIT Security ManagerQLD
- FTRPA Tech LeadVIC
- CCTraining and Support LeadVIC
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPProject Manager - Data Feed ReplacementVIC
- FTProject ManagerOther
- CCCognos/Datastage DeveloperQLD
- FTTransport EngineerOther
- FTCloud Engineer | AzureOther
- FTInfrastructure Architect (EUC)Other
- CCIdentity & Access Management ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Wintel Engineer, VMware, SCCMOther