D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
High-quality, Apple HomeKit compatible security camera
- Simple setup
- Good quality in light and dark
- Good motion detection features
- Apple HomeKit compatible
- Tricky to access remotely
- Apple only
If you're embedded with Apple devices, this simple-to-use camera offers great quality and good features. It can just be tricky to access when outside your home network.
Price$ 330.00 (AUD)
You’d be surprised at how complicated some home security cameras can be to set up and operate. D-Link’s Omna 180 is refreshingly different. You just need to be near it with an Apple device (that’s connected to WiFi) and the D-Link Omna app will detect it and connect. You just need to enter the Hub code and even that can be done automatically. This then secures it with end-to-end encryption to stop weirdos, hackers and Australian politicians spying on you.
From this point everything works instantly. You can view the high quality live images, listen in on audio and even talk back to people within listening distance of the camera.
There’s also a simple motion detection system which lets you choose which parts of a frame (and the sensitivity of change within them) need to be triggered in order to record video to – it’s stored on an unsupplied) microSD card which slots into the bottom.
The camera is also compatible with Apple’s Home app and this will notify you on the lock screen if motion has been triggered.
We found it worked very well and image quality was excellent. Even in the near dark, a usable image was captured thanks to an infrared mode.
The main gripe is that it can’t natively be accessed outside of your own homw network – it would be great to check-in at home when out and about. However, you can set this up if you also have a full Apple Home Hub (using an Apple TV) up and running and can follow these instructions.
It’s worth persevering, however. The ‘dewarping’ technology means that the fish-eye lens doesn’t provide an image that’s too distorted and dynamic bitrate means quality will adjust to what’s available when streaming to you.
There are quite a few network cams around but this is certainly one of the simplest to use and with the highest quality too. It’s a shame it’s all Apple-only based and that you need an Apple TV to make the most of it, but if you already have that, it’s a great buy.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Ring Bolster Security Offering With Cameras, Lights, Alarms and Subscription Service
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCAutomation Test Engineer - BRISBANE BASEDNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- CCAutomation Test EngineerQLD
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java Developer - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSalesforce Developers x 7Other
- CCNetwork Surveyor - TelcoVIC
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- FTFull stack DeveloperOther
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTTechnical Project OfficerOther
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support AnalystOther
- FTProject Cost ControllerSA
- FTSales Manager - Global ISP Cloud Solutions ProviderVIC
- FTLead Mobile DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- CCJunior to Mid-level Developer - BrisbaneNSW
- FTData Analyst / Reporting Analyst - $496.00 per dayOther
- FTSecurity DevOps EngineerOther
- CCService Delivery ManagerWA
- TPSenior Business Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- TPTest Analyst / CoordinatorQLD
- CCTechnical Specialist ? VMwareVIC
- FTRecruitment Consultant- Internal Vacancy -NSWOther