D-Link Australia DSL-2740B
- Connection speeds, Wireless range
- Optus doesn't yet support the chipset, Quick setup disc doesn't work
A fast wireless router and ADSL2+ modem, The D-Link DSL-2740B brought a smile to our faces in regard to its broadband speeds and wireless range
Price$ 379.95 (AUD)
If it's speed you're after -- be it wireless networking or ADSL2+ -- you'll want to take a look at this router/modem from D-Link. Outperforming all the other ADSL2+ modems tested by at least 6Mbps, and with blistering wireless speeds, it's safe to say that this is the fastest router/modem we've tested in quite some time.
We did have initial problems connecting our modem to the Internet -- the supplied setup disc wouldn't even recognise that the router was plugged in -- but once we manually set up the connection through the Web interface, we were amazed at the difference in download speeds between this and other ADSL2+ modems recently tested.
Average Internet download speeds of 18Mbps were gained whilst having our test notebook and the DSL-2740B located within three metres of each other, while dropping to around 5.4Mbps when located 15 metres away (with two walls separating the hardware). When wirelessly browsing the Internet, we had to literally walk outside the PC World office and across the road before losing our connection -- a distance of at least 30 metres!
Setting up a secure wireless connection (using AES) took about a minute, and most of that time was spent rebooting the router. Copying a 100MB file from one notebook to another gave us transfer speeds of 21Mbps when placed within three metres of the DSL-2740B. When we moved to another room, we were getting average transfer speeds of 18Mbps at a distance of around 10 metres, with two walls between the notebook and router.
Loading up our trusty streaming DivX video file, we were able to move 15 metres away from the router before the video began to stutter and freeze (again, with two walls separating the hardware). Audio files also played from this distance without problem. We could easily foresee this router being located anywhere in an average sized three bedroom house and still being able to stream multimedia or serve files at decent speeds to any other area of the place.
A built-in SPI firewall comes as standard (although not on by default), along with IP and URL filtering. Basic parental controls are also included, allowing time and day restrictions to Internet access. Creating a virtual server is easy to set up -- good for gamers or users wanting to set-up a Web server.
The Web interface is well laid out, and compared to some other router/modem interfaces we've seen, is relatively easy to navigate. There are no hidden dropdown menus, and all options are clearly displayed down the left-hand side of the Web page.
Now for the bad news, particularly if you're an Optus customer. The DSL-2740B uses a Broadcom chipset that is currently incompatible with Optus DSLAMs. Trying to connect will result in the D-Link locking up your Optus DSLAM port, requiring a phone call to Optus tech support to rectify. This can be temporarily fixed by going into the DSL-2740B Web interface and disabling ADSL2+ from the connection options, allowing you to connect via ADSL only.
Join the newsletter!
We have 4 to give away so jump in!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Netgear announces local availability for Nighthawk X4S Wi-Fi extender
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Netgear
- CES 2018: D-Link Demonstrates New Connected Innovations
- Razer Partners With Ignition Design Labs on Gaming-Grade Wi-Fi
- Netgear target small businesses with Orbi Pro
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSCCM Application PackagerQLD
- FTCommunications ManagerOther
- TPIT Project Delivery CoordinatorQLD
- CCDigital ArchitectQLD
- FTFrontend Developer - Angular4/FirebaseNSW
- TPEL1 OBIEE/Java DeveloperACT
- FTField EngineerOther
- FTSecurity AdvisorOther
- FTSCRUM MasterOther
- FTNetwork Architect - Brisbane/PerthOther
- FTSenior Android DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Project Manager - Financial MarketsVIC
- FTSenior Infrastructure EngineerOther
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCJava Full stack developer - Telco domainVIC
- CCData EngineerNSW
- FTSupport Consultant (Chris 21)Other
- FTTechnical LeadOther
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Wealth & AgileOther
- FTMarketing ExecutiveOther
- FTBroker Support/ Applications SupportOther
- CCSenior Solution Architect - Brisbane locationNSW
- FTLead Project/Program Manager -Office Fit out & AccommodationOther
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC