"If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63."
D-Link Australia DPH-120S
- Direct PC and LAN connections, familiar functionality
- Convoluted set up, inadequate call quality, not dual-mode
The DPH-120S offers a rather unique VoIP experience, essentially ripping the guts out of a traditional landline handset and replacing it with an Ethernet jack. The result is rather underwhelming, with the phone’s feature set minimal and no PSTN fallback line.
Price$ 194.00 (AUD)
D-Link's DPH-120S resembles a standard landline telephone in almost every way. A corded handset attaches to a simple base unit. It's a basic unit that emphasises functionality rather than style. The phone isn't dual-mode, offering solely VoIP through either a LAN connection or a direct PC connection using one of the two available Ethernet ports on the device. The phone's features are fairly basic and include speakerphone, speed dial, phone conferencing, voicemail and basic phone book functionality.
The DPH-120S doesn't offer any form of Web-based configuration interface over the local network. Users are instead required to input their SIP account details using the phone's numeric keypad — a cumbersome process but thankfully only necessary to do once.
D-Link's 'traditional' approach to this handset can even be seen in the implementation of speed dial functionality. Whereas the majority of modern phones would rely on their LCD for listing speed dial numbers, the DPH-120S has a numbered paper slot where users are able to write down speed dial numbers. This system seems out of place on a product supposed to be at the forefront of modern telephony.
Unfortunately, the DPH-120s doesn't deliver outstanding call quality — voices are tinny and prone to interference. Call recipients reported similar problems, saying that voices were generally high-pitched and uncomfortable for long conversations. Problems worsened over speakerphone, with the phone's microphone proving too sensitive and easily picking up the respondent's voice and causing feedback.
Call quality is highly dependent on the quality of the user's SIP carrier and Internet connection. However, hardware itself also plays a part — something is easily evident when using the same SIP carrier with both Linksys' IP Phone SPA962 and Siemens' Gigaset C470IP. Although the DPH-120S does have some merit in its 'traditional' approach, it ultimately falls short of expectations.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Ericsson, Telstra and Intel achieve first 5G commercial network data call
- Linksys announces Velop Dual-Band
- D-Link launches new DSL-3785 dual-band gigabit modem router
- Computex 2018: ASUS mesh router with built-in Alexa smart speaker confirmed for Australia
- Computex 2018: Synology debut first mesh router
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Huawei Nova 3e: P20 in a pinch
- Sonos Beam review: A more-affordable, smarter soundbar option
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies