D-Link DHP-303 powerline network adapter
The D-Link DHP-303 is an HD PowerLine HD network kit that provides plug-and-play operation and top-notch high-definition video streaming.
- Superior performance, power-saving mode
- No multi-port adapters available, incompatible with most other powerline devices
Overall, the D-Link DHP-303 kit is a top-notch performer with easy encryption setup and useful features such as a software utility and a power-saving mode. Just buy the correct kit, and make sure you're existing equipment is compatible.
Price$ 239.95 (AUD)
'So far so what', you might think. But under the hood, the D-Link DHP-303 has a different engine. The DHP-303 PowerLine HD Network Starter Kit is the only kit we've seen recently based on the Universal Powerline Association (UPA) standard; all of the others use HomePlug AV technology.
As a result, D-Link adaptors such as the D-Link DHP-303 are not interoperable with HomePlug AV adaptors. But since we advise buyers to stick to one vendor for ease of support, that's something of a moot point - although worth bearing in mind if you're adding to existing kit.
Whereas HomePlug AV kits use AES encryption, the D-Link DHP-303 kit uses 3-DES encryption - an older standard that is more CPU-intensive and marginally less secure (though both 3-DES and AES are more than adequate for home use).
Despite the extra overhead of 3-DES, the D-Link D-Link DHP-303 far outperformed the HomePlug AV kits we've tested recently, with sustained throughput in the range of 85 to 90 mbps. (The HomePlug AV kits maxed out at 62 to 69 mbps.)
The D-Link DHP-303 kit has a power-saving mode and push-button encryption that works in much the same way as the system that HomePlug AV models use. A software utility lets you set a specific encryption passphrase and prioritise network traffic — a useful option when you have multiple devices connected via powerline and want to ensure uninterrupted TV streaming.
The only significant downside to the D-Link DHP-303 kit: is that the company doesn't sell multiple-port adaptors, a feature that greatly reduces the cost of networking multiple home-theatre components and conserves scarce wall plugs.
If you buy, be sure to get the DHP-303 kit. The older D-Link DHP-301 PowerLine HD Ethernet Kit looks very similar (and has a similar name), but has far lower throughput and lacks push-button encryption.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- ASUSTOR and Seagate Technology Bring IronWolf Health Management to ASUSTOR NAS
- NBN hooks up 6 million homes and businesses
- Wi-Fi Alliance introduces a certification program for new smart home construction
- Netgear expands its Orbi Wi-Fi system into a product family, adding two less-expensive models
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTDevOps Engineers/Consultants - CloudOther
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCService Delivery LeadQLD
- FTUI / UX Lead DesignerQLD
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTSenior Tester - HardwareOther
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorVIC
- FTSenior Wintel EngineerOther
- FTJava Developer & DevOpsVIC
- FTData DeveloperOther
- CCFull-Stack AWS Python DeveloperWA
- FTSystems Administrator/DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst / Change AnalystOther
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther
- TPSenior Change ManagerNSW
- CCMean Stack Developers x4ACT
- FTSenior DevOps Engineer | Leading SaaS Product CompanyOther
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Configuration Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSales/Account Manager - Network & Unified CommunicationNSW
- CCSenior Security ConsultantQLD
- FTMarketing and Advertising Project/Sales SupportOther
- FTPMO Analyst BIWA
- FTSitecore DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior IT Domain SpecialistVIC