D-Link Australia DGL-4300
- Solid performance, gigabit Ethernet
- No printed manual, little reference to security in documentation
If you take your gaming seriously and have more than one computer with a gigabit Ethernet port, D-Link's DGL-4300 is a good bet.
Price$ 349.95 (AUD)
Online gaming places a hefty load on your Internet connection and associated hardware. Online competitions can be won or lost in the blink of an eye, and a dropped packet at the wrong moment could mean all the difference between a resounding victory or crushing defeat
D-Link's DGL-4300 Wireless 108G Gaming Router is designed to prioritise gaming packets over regular network traffic to keep gaming pings low and give you every chance in frag-fests. D-Link is making an aggressive attack on the gaming market and has released a GamerLounge range of products customised for the gaming community.
The black and grey DGL-4300 measures 19.5 x 13 x 3.5cm and includes a handy diagram on the bottom to indicate cable connections along with an LED legend to help troubleshoot the front panel. The rear fascia serves up a single SNA antenna connector, four gigabit LAN ports and one WAN port to connect to either another network device or a broadband modem.
The router itself can be plugged into four devices via Ethernet cable, but also provides a wireless network to share an Internet connection between wireless devices like notebooks, PDAs or wireless gaming consoles. Though the device comes with a printed quick install guide, there's no bound manual to speak of. Instead users have to rely on the software manual on the CD-ROM in case of emergency. That said, the quick install guide is well laid out and written, and there's every chance that you won't have to delve into the CD-ROM until you go to set up security. Unfortunately, the quick install guide only pays a passing mention to security and you have to go to the manual to get adequate protection up and running.
The router's web interface is well laid out and easy to follow, and there are plenty of advanced settings there for those that want to customise the routing functions. A bundled stateful packet inspection (SPI) firewall is included along with basic network address translation (NAT) to help keep out attackers, and the device fully supports a VPN pass-through. From a security perspective, both WPA and 128-bit WEP are supported, further locking down the network.
The DGL-4300 offers a 108g Wi-Fi connection for compatible devices. Many different hardware manufacturers are releasing devices that operate at claimed speeds of up to 108mbit/s using channel bonding technology. Essentially these devices are able to use two separate 802.11g channels simultaneously to boost speeds beyond the theoretical 54mbit/s capability of 802.11g. In reality, while there is a substantial speed improvement from 802.11g to 108g, the performance is nowhere near double that of the slower technology. In fact, 108g networks are generally around 30-40% faster than conventional 802.11g.
In testing, the D-Link model performed well, achieving consistently high data transfer rates when tested with a compatible D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G CardBus adapter. The device managed to push data at 41mbit/sec at a range of 5m; a solid result. If you take your gaming pretty seriously, and have a couple of current generation Intel or AMD PCs with gigabit Ethernet connections, the DGL-4300 is a zippy, configurable, capable wireless network router.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- ASUSTOR and Seagate Technology Bring IronWolf Health Management to ASUSTOR NAS
- NBN hooks up 6 million homes and businesses
- Wi-Fi Alliance introduces a certification program for new smart home construction
- Google's Espresso networking tech takes SD-WAN to internet scale
- Netgear expands its Orbi Wi-Fi system into a product family, adding two less-expensive models
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)NSW
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTMid Level .NET Developer (Full Stack, Back End focus) - C#Other
- CCSenior Project Manager - InfrastructureVIC
- FTAgile CoachVIC
- FTProject Support Officer/ Project Coordinator - GovernmentOther
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- CCFilenet Developer - BrisbaneQLD
- CCProject Manager - Audio VisualNSW
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- CCSolution Architect - BrisbaneNSW
- FTProject Coordinator/AdministratorOther
- FTProject Support Officer (Part Time)SA
- CCApplications PackagerNSW
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTWorkforce Analyst | Scheduler | Calendar ManagementOther
- TPBusiness Analyst - ReportingNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Loyalty Program)Other
- CCIT Portfolio Management AnalystWA
- FTTechnical Manager- Electrical/ Mechanical Engineering backgrndOther
- FTFront End Developer - Ractive.JS (Urgent)Other
- FTAPI Developer / Analyst ProgrammerOther