So you can enjoy the sunshine while listening to your favourite music or podcast. Thanks to Sennheiser. Enter today.
D-Link DHP-303 powerline network adapter
The D-Link DHP-303 is an HD PowerLine HD network kit that provides plug-and-play operation and top-notch high-definition video streaming.
- Superior performance, power-saving mode
- No multi-port adapters available, incompatible with most other powerline devices
Overall, the D-Link DHP-303 kit is a top-notch performer with easy encryption setup and useful features such as a software utility and a power-saving mode. Just buy the correct kit, and make sure you're existing equipment is compatible.
Price$ 239.95 (AUD)
'So far so what', you might think. But under the hood, the D-Link DHP-303 has a different engine. The DHP-303 PowerLine HD Network Starter Kit is the only kit we've seen recently based on the Universal Powerline Association (UPA) standard; all of the others use HomePlug AV technology.
As a result, D-Link adaptors such as the D-Link DHP-303 are not interoperable with HomePlug AV adaptors. But since we advise buyers to stick to one vendor for ease of support, that's something of a moot point - although worth bearing in mind if you're adding to existing kit.
Whereas HomePlug AV kits use AES encryption, the D-Link DHP-303 kit uses 3-DES encryption - an older standard that is more CPU-intensive and marginally less secure (though both 3-DES and AES are more than adequate for home use).
Despite the extra overhead of 3-DES, the D-Link D-Link DHP-303 far outperformed the HomePlug AV kits we've tested recently, with sustained throughput in the range of 85 to 90 mbps. (The HomePlug AV kits maxed out at 62 to 69 mbps.)
The D-Link DHP-303 kit has a power-saving mode and push-button encryption that works in much the same way as the system that HomePlug AV models use. A software utility lets you set a specific encryption passphrase and prioritise network traffic — a useful option when you have multiple devices connected via powerline and want to ensure uninterrupted TV streaming.
The only significant downside to the D-Link DHP-303 kit: is that the company doesn't sell multiple-port adaptors, a feature that greatly reduces the cost of networking multiple home-theatre components and conserves scarce wall plugs.
If you buy, be sure to get the DHP-303 kit. The older D-Link DHP-301 PowerLine HD Ethernet Kit looks very similar (and has a similar name), but has far lower throughput and lacks push-button encryption.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review: Killer form-factor, lethal price-tag
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Xiro Drone Xplorer V by Rapoo review
Latest News Articles
- Deal: Nab a Nest Wifi System for $100 less than you should
- Telstra talks big with new Wall-To-Wall Wi-Fi guarantee
- Amazon break into Mesh Wi-Fi with Eero
- Netgear's first wave of Wi-Fi 6 routers are pricey as hell
- Telstra launch Australia's first 5G hotspot
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
I highly recommend the Dynabook Portégé® X30L-G notebook for everyday business use, it is a benchmark setting notebook of its generation in the lightweight category.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
- Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- Soundbars: Why they’re worth it and which one should you buy
- Buying a laptop this EOFY? Here's a cheat sheet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies