Cygnett GrooveTooth Talk
Groove and Talk with Cygnett's latest Bluetooth speakerphone.
- Ease of use, compact, sun visor and air vent clips, in-car charger included
- Microphone could be improved, tacky design
The GrooveTooth Talk does a reasonable but not outstanding job. It's slightly cheaper than many competitors, so may appeal to people on a tight budget.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
A compact and simple Bluetooth speakerphone for the car, Cygnett’s GrooveTooth Talk is an ideal solution for those on a budget. While it doesn't boast the same quality as its competitors, its slightly cheaper asking price means it may appeal as an affordable alternative for some.
The GrooveTooth Talk is compact but in terms of aesthetics its design isn't ideal for modern vehicles. The matte black and silver plastic casing looks somewhat tacky and unattractive. That being said, its magnetic clip that attaches to the sun visor works well. Conveniently, it can also clip onto any air-conditioning vent. Depending on your vehicle layout, the latter may be a better option for outgoing sound than the regular sun visor mount.
Operation of the GrooveTooth Talk is fairly straightforward. Turning on the unit automatically puts it into pairing mode. Once paired, operation centres around the connect button and the two volume buttons. Pressing the connect button answers incoming calls and ends current ones, while holding this button for three seconds during a call transfers the sound from the GrooveTooth Talk to your mobile phone — handy if you are on a call when you need to exit your vehicle. The buttons are flat but provide reasonable tactility and don’t require a lot of force to press.
Audio quality is passable, but it’s certainly not outstanding. Our callers didn’t complain terribly about outgoing audio, though the microphone doesn’t seem to pick up as much of our voice as it should; you may have problems if you lean right back in the driver's seat or want your passenger to become involved in the conversation. Incoming audio is solid, and we found volume levels to be excellent. Wind noise can detract from a conversation despite the presence of noise suppression and echo cancellation technology, so it’s best to keep windows closed while using this unit.
In addition to regular call functions, the GrooveTooth Talk also boasts some slightly more advanced features. It can redial the last number called, mute calls, activate voice dialling (provided this is supported on your handset) and can also place calls on hold. Conveniently, the unit can pair with and remember up to eight devices.
Cygnett claims the GrooveTooth Talk is capable of seven hours of talk time and 460 hours standby off a full charge. An in-car charger and USB cable are included in the sales package and mean the unit can be charged either in your vehicle or through a PC.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Google wants to solve the Android update problem once and for all with Project Treble
- Intel concerned about name of John McAfee’s privacy phone
- Low-cost Android phones to get iPhone features with new Qualcomm chips
- Qualcomm's Quick Charge 4 is coming in phones midyear
- Apple's next iPhones may cut corners on memory due to price squeeze
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCIT Systems Administrator-Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- CCSenior Solution Analyst /Technical Business AnalystVIC
- CCWeb Designer - IT Graphics / UI DesignerQLD
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTScrum Master - TechnicalNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness Intelligence Test ManagerNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition LeadQLD
- TPAgile Projet AdministratorVIC
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTPython Fullstack DevNSW
- FTProject Coordinator - Digital Applications (IT)NSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTService Implementation Manager BIMNSW
- FTHealthcare Integration Support/ Junior DBA - Brisbane BasedQLD
- FTCustomer Account Officers x3NSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantACT
- FTScrum Master/Project ManagerQLD
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 3 Service Desk Support Engineer / Project ManagerQLD
- FTService Delivery Manager - Telecommunications InfrastructureNSW
- FTDevelopment LeadVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - Technology and StrategyQLD