Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock
The Cygnett GrooveTime II is an iPod dock and alarm clock with an FM tuner and good sound quality.
- Looks good, small, relatively good sound quality
- Remote control lacks full iPod menu functionality, remote control buttons often unresponsive
The Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock and alarm clock looks good and sounds great, especially when it's relatively small price and size are considered. Its only let-downs are the remote control's lack of full iPod menu functionality and its unresponsive buttons.
Price$ 139.95 (AUD)
The Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock and alarm clock is small and cute, but it also produces a surprising amount of good quality sound. Although it is compatible with a wide variety of Apple iPods and with the iPhone, has an auxiliary connection and can receive FM signals, it doesn't offer complete iPod menu control.
The Cygnett GrooveTime II is a petite white block with an iPod connector on top, 2W speakers on the left and right side, a clock on the front and a power connection at the back next to the AUX port. The digital display can be dimmed so it's not distracting at night.
When setting the time on the clock, it's best to use the buttons on the Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock itself. The remote control's keys are often unresponsive (you also can't scroll through numbers by holding down a button). It also can't control iPod menu functions like changing the album or artist, restricting users to skipping tracks and play/pausing.
Once you've set the Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock up, you're able to enjoy its surprisingly good audio quality.
We found that the mid-range notes from instruments like the piano came out smoothly, but the speakers often struggled to hit high treble notes without suffering from distortion. This was particularly apparent in electronic tracks like "Ice Cream" by the New Young Pony Club. Low notes sound good given the speakers' size, but it doesn't match the performance of the similarly priced Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy. The Cygnett GrooveTime II also has a bass booster that lets you pick the level of bass being played, but turning this up reduces frequency distinction.
The Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock also works as an FM radio, and the auto tuner can assign presets to the stations it picks up. Although there are no individually numbered preset buttons, hitting the skip track buttons will shift between various stations. We found that the antenna was able to pick up FM signals quite well, but the external antenna detracts from the overall look.
The Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock is compatible with the Apple iPhone 3G, the Apple iPhone, the iPod touch (second generation), the Apple iPod nano (fourth generation), the Apple iPod touch, the Apple iPod classic, the Apple iPod nano (third generation), the Apple iPod (updated fifth generation), the Apple iPod nano (second generation) and any other iPod with a standard dock connector.
If you're after an iPod dock with a small form factor and big sound, the Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock provides plenty of features in a cute package. Just make sure you're happy with the limited menu control.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior RF EngineerSA
- CCPeoplesoft campus solution consultant/TesterNSW
- FTAutomation Test AnalystWA
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerOther
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- FTSoftware Developer - C#VIC
- CCMaximo DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Activations Performance Analyst | $700pdOther
- FTTest AnalystOther
- CCAutomation Tester - BrisbaneVIC
- TPSAP Training Officer - FinanceQLD
- FTImplementation Consultant - SMSF SoftwareOther
- FTSenior Agile ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - RELOCATE TO CANBERRANSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTLevel 2 Application Support ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - MAXIMO Asset ManagementOther
- CCSenior Media Data ExpertVIC
- FTDesktop EngineerOther
- CCSAP CRM, ABAP, FIORI & UI5 ResourcesACT
- TPSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Network Architect - CloudVIC
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperWA
- TPTest ManagerVIC
- FTFinance and PeopleSoft Project ManagerOther