Cygnett GrooveForce II
An iPod dock with a built-in FM tuner and a fully featured remote control.
- Built-in FM tuner, powerful remote, good separation
- Mid-range is cluttered and distorted, a decent amount of sibilance, bass lacks power
A decent but uninspiring iPod dock, the Cygnett GrooveForce II suffers a fair bit in the audio department but it is fine for casual listening and the FM tuner will be appealing to many.
Price$ 119.95 (AUD)
Taking an FM tuner and combining it with a relatively standard iPod dock, Cygnett’s latest music system, the GrooveForce II, is a fairly basic product. It does an adequate job of pumping out sound from your media player and has a pretty powerful remote control, but the audio quality is less than impressive so it won’t satisfy everyone.
The radio really is the standout feature here. As the iPod notably lacks any kind of tuner, dock users have typically been without this particular feature. The GrooveForce II’s implementation is pretty basic, with two tuner buttons and no ability to store presets. It received a fine signal in our tests and is a nifty feature, if not fully fleshed out.
Unfortunately, like the last Cygnett dock we tested, the audio is a source of disappointment. The biggest issue lies in the mid-range, which lacks proper control and is extremely gritty. In all of our rock and metal tests, passages of heavy guitar riffing sounded chunky, distorted and lacked detail. It made these genres difficult to listen to, particularly at high volumes.
We weren’t particularly happy with the bass either. It lacked punch and power, which left most songs sounding a little flat. We’d have liked it to extend more deeply and rumble a fair bit more; even in simple tunes with piano, bass guitar and drums the bass felt lacking.
There was also a fair amount of sibilance evident on cymbals and vocals which gave the sound a slightly harsh tone. That said, there was good separation across the full range of instruments and a pretty good soundstage.
The highs were also relatively good. While they weren’t as rich and lively as we would have liked, they were smooth and there wasn’t too much shrillness or harshness. We found easy listening tunes were probably best with this system, things like jazz or pop. Volume output is pretty good all up, although the higher the volume the more evident the above issues are.
We liked the fact that Cygnett is including a fully functional remote with its products now. Despite its diminutive design, the remote can not only control basic playback features but also navigate the iPod menu, which is a boon for the lazy. All the usual controls are present although there is no way to adjust bass or treble. The rear has an AC jack and an auxiliary input port for non Apple media players.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPProgram Change Manager - LIS Program - HealthQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager - Office 365QLD
- CCIteration Lead - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTService Manager - Solution ArchitectOther
- FTDesktop Support AnalystOther
- CCPolicy OfficerNSW
- FTFront-End DeveloperNSW
- CCAngular DeveloperNSW
- CCKofax DeveloperVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCSystem Analyst - AxwayNSW
- FTICT Systems Support OfficerQLD
- CCTechnical LeadQLD
- FTData Analysts/ EngineersACT
- FTJava J2EE DeveloperOther
- CCRPA DeveloperVIC
- FTData AnalystOther
- CCAxway DeveloperQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- CCLevel 1 Helpdesk TechnicianNSW
- FTMarketing Manager - IT ServicesOther
- FTService Desk Analyst/Telecommunications Service AnalystOther
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTDigital Marketing Business AnalystOther