Cygnett Groove Bassbudz
- Great bass, Excellent overall sound, No leakage
- A little uncomfortable
As a budget pair of earbuds with excellent sound, the Bassbudz are an excellent choice for fans of truly powerful bass.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
As a cheap, portable, in-ear headphone, the Bassbudz are a great product. As their name would suggest they are extremely bass heavy, but the overall sound is excellent, with solid separation and a nice balance between mids and highs. Their only real issue is comfort, but for those who want a bass driven sound this product is a good choice.
The Bassbudz are a kind of hybrid, somewhere between an earbud and a canalphone. They don't sit as deeply in your ear canal as a proper IEM (In Ear Monitor), but they do have a similar shape and style. We found them to be quite comfortable in the short term, but as you can see in our pictures they are quite large, and during longer listening sessions this became a problem. They weren't painful like some other IEMs we've used, but they do begin to feel a little uncomfortable after a while. Obviously people's ear canals differ immensely, so this may not be a big problem for you, but it is worth noting.
Of course as long as a pair of headphones is bearably comfortable, what you're really going to be concerned about is the quality of the audio, and Cygnet has done an outstanding job here. For those who want twinkling highs and a totally smooth, clear mid range, these may not be the best choice for you. But with a name like Bassbudz, you'd have to be pretty silly to buy them in the first place if those were your requirements.
The Bassbudz have an exceptionally bass driven sound, which deep lows that have a lot of extension and power. Cygnet has done an excellent job of creating this sound without letting the bass get bloated or distorted. It is by far the most prominent element of the music, lending it a rich, dark sound, but it doesn't become overbearing at any point.
Some sacrifices are made to have such a sound though. The largest of these is in the mid-range, where there is some noticeable congestion. The mids are quite gritty and not as clean and defined as on some less bass orientated models. The highs however are well executed, with a soaring, powerful tone that complements the strong bass well. We were really pleased with how the Bassbudz handled treble, as it is often a flaw on bass orientated products.
The soundstage is decent, but not exceptional. It is quite an intimate presentation, making you feel like you're on stage with the musicians, rather than in the audience, although it did sound a little flat and two dimensional in parts. Overall the quality of the sound belies the rather low price. It is most suited to music such as hip hop and electronica, but the dark sound worked well for a variety of genres.
As a hybrid canalphone/earbud, we were interested in the levels of sound leakage the Bassbudz would exhibit. Earbuds have a habit of leaking quite badly, whereas canalphones are virtually silent. Fortunately the Bassbudz mimic the later. They were almost inaudible, even when resting on a desk and playing at high volume. This makes them perfect for use in quiet situations such as the office or libraries. They do a decent job of blocking exterior noise too, although they aren't noise cancelling like a lot of canalphones.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Harman ANZ relaunches AKG into the consumer market with new range
- Plantronics Expands its Award-Winning BackBeat FIT Family
- Google marries AI, hardware and software with Made By Google
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- Bose Upgrade Q35 for Google Assistant
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTAutomation TesterQLD
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- TPProject OfficerVIC
- FTService Desk CoordinatorOther
- CCPNI ConsultantVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - TableauOther
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSAP BW ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Portfolio Analyst. 12 month contract.NSW
- FTInformation Security ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Information Security Officer (BISO)NSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst - IntermediateQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCDevOps Automation SME - Telco ClientVIC
- FTQA Lead / TesterNSW
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- FTLead PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Systems EngineerWA
- FTAnalysis, Design & Configuration ManagerOther
- CCProject Director - Gold CoastQLD
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC