- You can upload directly from YouCam to YouTube
- The effects are a bit cheesy
While Cyberlink YouCam is rather fun, it's hard to see a big market of people who would want to pay even $50 for something quite so superfluous. It might appeal to kids who enjoy the novelty value of the effects, but Cyberlink YouCam has the air of something that really should be a free add on, not paid-for software.
Price$ 51.79 (AUD)
Cyberlink YouCam is webcam effects software aimed at making YouTube and video chat a lot more fun.
As all the main messenger software titles now support video chat, it's about time there were more ways to make it more fun. This is where YouCam steps in. This clever little utility from Cyberlink is aimed squarely at YouTube and chat fans who want a way to enhance chatting online and share videos.
Cyberlink YouCam consists of two modes: one to be used to pep up live chats, and the other to add a little extra to your video chats before you share them with friends online.
The first mode allows you to apply effects while you are chatting to your friends. Most of these are, admittedly pretty cheesy but, given the market of teens and tweens to whom this is most likely to appeal, perhaps this is no bad thing.
Frankly, we struggle to see quite how chatting would be enhanced by the addition of a swirly pink heart or a red rose frame. If, like us, you don't like the effects supplied with Cyberlink YouCam, there are more to be downloaded from the Cyberlink We bsite.
You can also add distortion effects to make yourself look bigger, thinner or just plain weirder. Then there are animated 'emotion' effects which are a bit like cartoon captions. For the full effect these can be applied along with any of Cyberlink YouCam's other features.
Cyberlink YouCam's second, stand-alone, mode allows you to use your webcam to capture video and still images and add effects to them instead.
If you create a video you are particularly proud of you can upload directly from YouCam to YouTube. Or, if your film is of a more private nature you can e-mail it directly from Cyberlink YouCam instead.
In either mode you can preview your masterpiece in real time to see whether or not you are happy with the effects and filters you have added.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTWeb Content WriterACT
- CCXML DeveloperVIC
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery Executive.NSW
- TPProject Manager | Applications and Project InitiationQLD
- FTApplication System EngineerACT
- FTSupport Engineer Level 3QLD
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCSenior Magento DeveloperVIC
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerACT
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - RELOCATE TO CANBERRANSW
- FTSenior Security Engineer x 3NSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- TPEOI - Developers and Tester (APS)ACT
- TPJunior Node.js DeveloperVIC
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 2 SupportQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - ImprovementQLD
- TPChange Management - Multi-stream people change program**NSW
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerNSW